Cooking Steak/Beef

I turned the Rec Tec on and dialed it up to 500 to put a steak on. As usual I put a temperature probe in the thickest part and watched the internal temperature climb to 160. I like my steak cooked. I don't mind a little pink but it has to be minimal. Everything I've read says the steak should be well done at 155 but mine is still pretty pink inside at 155-160. I'm not turning it because of the internal probe. Any recommendations on cooking a decent steak. Mine turned out OK. It was tender and had juices running out everywhere. I put salt,pepper and a rub made for hamburgers. Let's hear some ways you guys are preparing steaks/beef.

You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

3. Member
    Reverse sear method works wonders. I've also fell in love with running my Akorn up to 600+ using lump coal and firing up some steaks with just a bit of seasoning (salt goes on after it's cooked and under foil resting). The high heat and ability for the Akorn to hold heat makes steaks cook up in 8-10 minutes depending on the thickness and cut. I use a probe when reverse searing and just use feel (how the outside springs back) when going high heat over the coals.

4. Member
    Temp probes give an approximate temperature. The probes are not guaranteed to be exactly in the center plus they read the temperature they are exposed to. Remember they are sitting on the heat. I use one occasionally but rely on cutting in to validate the color. My son in law is the absolute king of brisket cooking, he uses them religiously.

I cook mine (RecTec) on about 200-225 depending on time til internal hits about 110 or so. Then turn it up to about 400 and put on searing grates til it hits about 135. Steak will continue to cook after you take it off.

This video is a little long...…But I like this guy. pretty funny dude.

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw