What kind of gains do you get from a jack plate on a 18tx

My new tempest prop will be here in a couple of days and I am thinking of adding a jackplate as well on my 2018 Triton 18tx. For those that have done it what kind of top end gains do you see? Is it worth it?

2. Member
    Not apples to apples but when I added an Atlas to my aluminum boat I gained nothing other than the ability to raise the motor in shallow water. Didn't gain any speed. It is nice in super skinny water though. I will say I gained better holeshot if my jackplate is set at 10
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

3. Member
    I got 2mph on a Lowe 18HP and it was a bear to drive, other than a straight line. Wasn't worth it and boat performed well at hole #3.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Member
    Well test ran my boat with the tempest 21. What a difference from the 19p blackmax aluminum prop.. topped out at 52 on the speedo. But the real gain was in handling and cornering.. No more porpoising and prop blow out in turns..The prop made it a different boat. Don't really know if I will mess with a jack plate now. I would love to talk to someone who runs this rig with a jackplate and a tempest.

5. Member
    Oh yea forgot to mention that was with a full tournament load 1/2 tank of gas and a co angler turning 6200rpm

6. Member
    I don't think you could ask for better numbers than what you are getting. I have a TX18 on order with a hydraulic jack plate. I'm anticipating another 9-10 week wait before it gets here (dealer said 6-8 weeks but I think he is overly optimistic). Hit me up in a couple of months and I'll let you know what I find out. I'll be happy if I can get close to your numbers though. I will probably be running the same prop as you are.

7. Member
    You are running good, I would not change a thing. Most run 48-50 mph.

8. Member
    52 on the speedo is probably 47-48mph
    Semper Fi

I gained 3 mph with my setup but different hull. You may gain a mph or so. Handling is generally alot better and these hulls are known to porpoise some and the jack plate helps with that. But the past few years have had trim tabs so that isnt mucu of an issue anymore. Best numbers i seen posted on the ranger/triton hull was a 6” jack plate no tabs with an etec 115 he ran 53 gps.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’d listen to Roy, man knows what he is talking about! To me the prop is the most essential
    to get good performance. I put my old aluminum prop on to
    do some testing and I couldn’t believe I used to think that was good! My SS prop
    just grips and I love it.

Next is motor height, if you are set up correctly, it won’t change except when you add or subtract weight.

If if I were in your position I wouldn’t touch anything, it sounds like you’re right there. I can’t get my boat to stop porpoising so I’m raising it. I might consider a jp since I’m moving the motor.

Unless you have the need to raise your motor for skinny water, it sounds like you’re set up perfect.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    Thanks guys, my motor is mounted in the third hole and the prop really put the porpoising to to bed. I don't figure I'll get much more out of her.. but you always try to squeeze every drop out.

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Squeeze every drop out AND lie, isn’t that what fisherman do?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Same exact set up on my 18TX....21 tempest...3rd hole...don't really think it needs a jackplate...45-48 depending on load. Prop does a nice job.

14. Member
    Well after I got my new lowrance electronics installed.. The best I have seen on GPS is 48 with my son and I, 49 by myself with a little chop and the wind to my back .. I am happy with that. I have put some fish in this thing in a year and love fishing out of it..

My advice for anyone in the market is to go ahead and spend the money the day you buy it to get what you want. I pinched some pennies and didn't install the bow graph or upgrade the whatever the 4 inch graph I had was and left there with a 19p black max aluminum prop. I put a Hook 7 splitshot on the bow, Hook 7 tripleshot in the dash and the tempest prop on and now I am happy with it.

The Mercury ProXS 4 stroke 115 is fast and fuel efficient and I would have nothing else on the back of this thing at this point (not throwing rocks at any other outboard I just love mine)

15. Banned
    If you dont have a pad hull, a jackplate would be a waste.mm
    My Polar Kraft does not have a pad hull, nor does it have trim tabs, and handling is awesome, and no porpoising issues at all.
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 04-09-2019 at 04:48 PM.

I ended up installing a atlas micro jacker...not much speed gain..can get on plane and run super shallow. I run about 47 with a 21 Tempest and a little heavier fortrex on the bow.

17. Member
    I would not touch a thing with your boat, most run 48-50 mph. You would probably only gain 1-2 mph if any. Generally a jack plate works better on a pad bottom design boat.