Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Most bass applications utilizing that gearcase will do quite well with a variety of 4 blade props that are purpose-built for the bass market. Bravo-1 FS would be a decent candidate.

Much larger-heavier boats would require larger props with other gearcases as well... so the results in most of the applications on this site may vary from those shown above.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Most bass applications utilizing that gearcase will do quite well with a variety of 4 blade props that are purpose-built for the bass market. Bravo-1 FS would be a decent candidate.

Much larger-heavier boats would require larger props with other gearcases as well... so the results in most of the applications on this site may vary from those shown above.

You are 100% correct. Boats capable in excess of 85 mph requiring the new larger sportmaster at elevated heights is a small percentage of boats. The electronic shift is going to be excellent given the large pitch props we require.

This segment is very excited. I will be saving up for a 300R to replace my Opti. No question. Just a matter of time.

I have 4 SSR HD hubs to minimize large pitch shift clunk already.

3. Member
    Does anyone know what prop ran 103 on the 300r/bullet during the lake x demo?

4. Member
    A $5,000 CNC made 5 blade cleaver

I have a 21XDC with a 225 SportXS.. Titus cone and 1.62 gears Hydromotive Quad 4 XOB. With the fishing load I have it runs 79 to 81 GPS depending on the day. The prop was originally a 27 that i had pitched down to a 26. I was thinking I would repitch it to a 28 if I get the 300R for fishing around here (small lakes 400 to 900 acre). Any ideas on how that set up might run?

6. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Much larger-heavier boats would require larger props with other gearcases as well..
    A Larger Heavier boat requires a large prop????

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthperf View Post
    I have a 21XDC with a 225 SportXS.. Titus cone and 1.62 gears Hydromotive Quad 4 XOB. With the fishing load I have it runs 79 to 81 GPS depending on the day. The prop was originally a 27 that i had pitched down to a 26. I was thinking I would repitch it to a 28 if I get the 300R for fishing around here (small lakes 400 to 900 acre). Any ideas on how that set up might run?

85-87 mph on the limiter and excellent acceleration.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    A Larger Heavier boat requires a large prop????
    Yes- Large as in DIAMETER (not just pitch).

The Bravo-1 is one of the only props that has "migrated" from the big-boat offshore market into the smaller/lighter markets (primarily due to modifications that started outside of Mercury, proved very successful, and later came into an "out of the box" model solution).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

The Quad 4 XOB is the same diameter as the bravo correct? I thought they were both 15".

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Believe that's an Intimidator prop (not a Merc Prop)... but we do see a lot of them used. It is 15" according to their website.

Most of Merc's props vary in diameter (higher pitch are often slightly lower diameter within a particular prop series).

Yes, I do believe it is called an intimidator quad 4 XOB.. I had it built for surfacing with extra tip cup.. I really like the prop, that's why I was hoping it would work... Just wasn't sure if it would run as high as the new motor needs to go.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't think I've ever put one that high... though I've seen several of my customers running them at what I would consider to be "paddle-wheel-height".

13. Member
    I have run several bravo and xob props as well as merc promax props. So far, the smaller diameter, 14.5” promax runs as high and in some cases higher than I was able to run 15” diameter xob and bravo props. So there is more to grip than just diameter.

I bet a 15”-15.5” xtra diameter promax would be just what the dr ordered at least for my hull...

14. Member
    It's my understanding that the XOB was based off of the original bravo.

15. Member
    Interesting thread for sure. I replaced my 300XS/1.62 sporty with a 250R/1.75 sporty on my XB21 Allison and it wasn't difficult to prop. I'm running the same props. I simply plugged the pvs holes. The big sporty handles great. And I do surface it. This 250R is not to far behind my 300XS. With the 29 four blade Hydro I ran on my 300Xs/1.62/95mph/6k, my 250R/1.75/89.50mph/6180/limiter. The 30 pitch performer ran right at 91 on my 250R. The 250R/29 hydro planes my boat at 1.5 above the pad without having to move my Jackplate. All of these numbers was FULLY loaded to fish with the exception of water in live well but including a full tank of gas. Not sure if its going to make any difference but 300XS numbers was winter month temps and 250R numbers was in 90-100 degree temps. If cool weather does make a difference with this 4 Stroke, it will exceed the numbers it posted. I have only 7 hours on it so it may loosen. I would love to try a Max5 blade prop. I hate to spend 1600 bucks and get the wrong one. I would be willing to test one DON if you will send one my way. lol All I have to test is the Hydro which comes out the hole great with minimal bow rise. The promax is awesome from 0-85 with the exception of bow rise on take off. The the performer posted the biggest # (90.80). I'm curious to know if the Max5 will be comparable to the performance of the props i've tested. If the Max5 will plane my boat like the Hydro, be as quick as the promax from 0-85, and post a top end number like the performer. I WANT ONE. Tell me what size to order.
    Good Luck, Woody

16. Member
    Woody that’s very encouraging thank you for the response.

I would love to see you try a 29/30/31 max 5. I believe bblades has a test program that allows props to be tried before purchased!

Sounds better than I thought! Maybe I'll pop for a 300R even if they don't offer the 1.62..... Just hoping they would do it to give a little "gearing" advantage.

18. Member
    I did Replace my 28 promax with a 30 promax but only because I needed to plug all my pvs holes and 4 of my 8 pvs holes in my 28 was 1 inch and couldn’t plug them. However, it would have been fine. Just very close if not on the limiter. These limiters on the four stroke appears to be different than the two stroke. Very soft and sorta just sets there on or about 6180-6200. Either way, I didn’t purchase this 250R with expectations of it out running my 300XS. However, if it gets within striking range, I’m satisfied. The smoothness if the shifting, idle, acceleration and not having to buy oil when I fill up with 87 whatever octane, is worth more than the few mph difference. Knock on wood, no oil leaks yet. Lol I can assure you the 7 hours on mine has been tough ones. I bet it was screaming “what idiot bought me-put me back in the box and ship me back”.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    Woody that’s very encouraging thank you for the response.

I would love to see you try a 29/30/31 max 5. I believe bblades has a test program that allows props to be tried before purchased!
    I actually gave limited information to the Max5 party ask/answer forum on Mercury Racing as I was fishing for a favorable response. I never mentioned what boat or setup I was using. Reason being, I do know this is uncharted waters for all of us. No one at this inning in the game could say with confidence. "Yep, This is the perfect prop for your setup." However, I'm all ears and still searching. I am grateful to Sanderson Marine. (Lee Sanderson) for getting my engine without any delay and installing it. His install was excellent to say the least. I run mercury monitor, smartcraft, NEMA network etc. and everything worked great. Woody

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12