Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Ok, had a friend drive and me with my head in the bulge with a fluke meter. For my sake I had him run at 4500 rpm. Started out at 12.7 and by my watch within 7 minutes we were at 13.3 within a minute it went to 14.9 and just to satisfy my curiosity I had him keep going until it hit 15.9 and climbing ( about another minute). Couldn’t help but glance and noticed the graph read 14.4. It’s a pain to get battery out but taking it out after it cools down and taking it back to where I bought it for load test and hopefully a replacement

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unlikely that it is the battery, just to let you know.

Need to test the rectifier FIRST, and if it is good, the regulator would need to be replaced (note- as suggested earlier, this one is NLA now, meaning you're hunting leftover or used parts).

While I have not ever done it on THIS engine model, I suspect that the later-style regulator/rectifier would WORK (slightly challenging to mount, but should functionally do the job).

Have used it on several other "non-Merc" engines over the years with decent results.

WOULD require some wiring work and at least a moderate knowledge of the workings of a stator-type charging system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Ok , thanks for the help, I’ll check manual on replacing the regulator. Battery is out, the store is an hour away so will go in the morning. I have the battery here that I replaced with this new one, I’m going to put it back in and see what happens in the meantime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12