1992 champ problems

Love this group and love these boats. As I dont currently own one (but really want to) am d after reading the great articles here, I was wondering what the problems were or the 1992 champion 180. The article I read said that the '92s were disastrous. In what sense?

There's one on the market here locally. Its wrapped in camo and the pictures are horrible. I've asked for pictures of the hull I'd plate. And the engine serial number as it has an old merc offshore on it. I thought it may have been a 19 foot model not the seller says its 18. After re-reading Pat's article, questions Mark's now swirl, esp after the seller says it hasn't been run in over a year. Wondering if this is even worth a visit.

I'll post the link to get your opinions. Any input would be great.

I'm dying to get Into a champ. My body has a 191 cant remember the year but mid 90s i think, with a optimax 225 and the things that boat can do is just awesome. I'm secretly hoping he seeks but not holding my breathe haha

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...ationFlag=true
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

If it's a 1992 and a 18 footer it's a 18'4. Great hull. That one looks rough.

3. Member
    Yea it does. It'd def be a project boat. Also wondering the the wrap is hiding anything I dont want to see or know about haha

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Matt is spot on. The 180 was not intro'd until 1993....it is a good boat, but sensitive to proper set-up.

I have not heard anything remotely suggesting that '92 models (or any model year, for that matter) were "disastrous". Where did you read this?

5. Member
    Thought I read it on a sticky at the top of this group. "The ChampioN world" Maybe it was meant as far as setups went

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Ah...probably in the thread by Pat Goff. I need to read that thru again....I am pretty sure his reference was to the 1993 180. Definitely not any entire model year. The 180 and the 204 were both sensitive to set-up. I think the 180 was only made that one year.

I hope you find the Champ with your name on it!!!!! I bought my first in 1990....Love them!!!!

7. Member
    That was a very good read. And yes that's the one I was referring to. He did say in or around 1992.

Anyway, the seller isnt getting g back to me which is prob a red flag, so the search continues. I had asked for a picture of the hull I'd plate to see if I could tell the model from that

Oh well, I'll keep looking.

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    The Hull ID (HIN) will not give you a model. It only shows when and where the individual boat was built.

Our members frequently make some good finds and often post links here in the forum. Hope you get one soon!!!!

9. Pat Goff
    Not a 180 in that picture.
    180 has a rounded console and windshield.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

10. Member
    I had a 91 184, thats what it looks like from the bad pics!

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RickCamilleri View Post
    ... Also wondering the the wrap is hiding anything I dont want to see or know about haha
    Well, if the trailer came with the boat, my bet is one of the primary colors is red, which probably doesn't match them blue & white seats ... It probably had a bench seat in it originally, like this

Attached Images Attached Images

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Man I dug that boat! One of the classiest hulls I've seen so clean.

13. Member
    IF the motor , floor, and transom check out it is probably reasonably priced for a starting point. IMO , not running for at least a year tells me to plan on replacing the fuel lines and maybe cleaning out the fuel tank. That will be an expense. Possibly tires also $. The wrap, well the wrap suddenly turns this in to a very obvious unknown when buying from a stranger. I would definitely proceed very cautiously. $1500 or 2K might make sense if it wasn't a total loss but I don't think I would be shelling out $5500 for a "wrapped" boat of that vintage from an unknown seller.

Think of it this way : You can drink whiskey ( good grade ) on beer ( low grade ) and never fear
    but drinking beer ( low grade ) on whiskey ( good grade ) is mighty risky

The wrap (low grade ) on a Champ ( good grade ) is mighty risky.

Keep shopping unless you can absolutely steal it or you know and trust the seller. Wraps protect a boat, but they also cover a multitude of potential headaches. Do you want a project boat or do you want something you can go out and start enjoying right away ? Better think it through.
    GETFISHED !!!

14. Member
    Very wise words, along with the beer/whiskey comparison lol

I'm going to keep shopping. I may have to travel stateside to get one but I'm hoping my patience pays off

Quote Originally Posted by RickCamilleri View Post
    Very wise words, along with the beer/whiskey comparison lol

I'm going to keep shopping. I may have to travel stateside to get one but I'm hoping my patience pays off
    Champs are addictive.....once you drive one, it seems nothing else measures up. I'm trying to hold on to my 1993 Champ for hopefully another 5 years or so. Then I'm looking for my final retirement boat. Hopefully a clean Champ/Charger 210 or 198 is for sale somewhere.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

16. Member
    Theres a 210 for sale up here lol too big a boat for me not for you....