looking for a (not sold separately) piece

was curious if anyone has a defective (under the cowling) oil reservoir for a pro xs laying around. my cap worked its way loose and when tightening it will go tight, and then pop loose. i believe the threads may be stripped as i see no crack at the neck of the tank. mercury will not sell just the cap, only the tank assembly with the cap. my back up plan would be to find a 9/16" expanding plug (like a live well plug). mechanic told me as long as it holds in the oil it will work, but im sure mercury frowns upon it.

Um...I would not want to risk my motor on a redneck fix. A tank assembly is not THAT expensive.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

When and if mine fails it will get a aluminum water recover tank installed in its place. Fitting the sensor on it will no be a problem for me to overcome. That tank Mercury should be ashamed of, they could have spent a buck more on it and put a proper boss and cap on it
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Um...I would not want to risk my motor on a redneck fix. A tank assembly is not THAT expensive.
    Ordinarily I would agree, but even the lamest of redneck fixes is better than that gay ass little cap that Merc puts on them.
    Your low oil sensor will go bad soon enough....so just replace the tank when THAT happens.

5. Member
    they have very lillte problems outa the sensors its the float that's a problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    they have very lillte problems outa the sensors its the float that's a problem
    The float is the sensor. Well kinda. There's a magnetic washer attached to the float, and when the adhesive that holds it to the float fails then the washer falls to the bottom and sets off the false warning.
    They could fix that simply by moving the washer to the top of the float.... but for some reason they avoid doing that.

7. Member
    if ever in a pinch, the livewell plug works great. i believe i bought a 5/8"and shaved it down to 9/16" with a belt sander to avoid pieces getting into the tank. ive had it out probably half a dozen times now and not a single drop has came out of it.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Sticky Posts at the top of the Forum... engine identification/serial, and be sure you're in the correct forum for best results. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor