Thread: Gunnel Track

Gunnel Track

Does anyone know where I can purchase the aluminum stock that fits the Gunnel Track on the Xpress Tin boats. I want to design my own accessory holders and attache them via the Gunnel Track

2. Member
    First off, the simple answer I have is 'no'.

Now, what I have done:
    1. Years ago I took a piece of bar stock and milled 2 slots off each side long ways to turn the bar stock into a 'T'. Then punched holes through it for my mounting bolts. This is by far the strongest due to the bar stock dropping into the slot. IDK if that is how Xpress does it, but I know in the 90's that's how War Eagle did it.
    2. I've since just let some of these custom aluminum fab'ers (tons of them in AR) that are on these duck boards and facebook pages just make me whatever I need and they all just use flat stock and run the bolt through. Typically I ask for double bolts to prevent rotation on the object being bolted. You can also have them bend the flat stock at an angle so that it rides just above the top of the rail, which helps prevent rotating as well.

Bolts,
    1. at first, I used to take a lathe to turn the shoulder off a carriage bolt and a milling machine to slab off 2 sides of the head. It was a lot of time just for 1 finished bolt ..... if you didn't booger it up.
    2. I have drilled a round hole in one end of the track system in the slot/rail system, this allows a standard hex head bolt to drop into the hole, but slide inside the slot/rail system.
    3. since then, these custom fab'ers have access to the original design stainless steel bolts and typically supply you with them when they make your item (OS handle, gauge pod cluster box, rod holders, duck blind holder, etc). I'm sure they are getting them from somewhere like McMaster-Carr.

Hope it helps.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

3. Banned
    I have an Excel. Probably same track. I use a 5/16 carriage bolt and take 0.015" off opposite sides. It slides right in no problem. You can even use a file for this if you dont have a mill

4. Member
    Also an Excel so it may not exactly apply to your Xpress.

I use 1/4” Carriage Bolts but have to slide them in from the access hole at each end of the track. Recently installed a Bimini and had to make plastic backers out of WalMart cutting boards. Cut with a bandsaw, sand, and smooth with a propane torch.

Attached Images Attached Images

5. Banned
    Byrdman post up some pics of your bimini on the boat. Please. Been thinking about one.

6. Member
    Posted one in the “tin boats” Bimini thread, sorry though, it’s from the day I installed it in our driveway.

next time we go to the lake I’ll get a few pics.

7. Member
    Thanks for the info