Namekagon Lake mid- to late-September

I have a buddy who has a family cabin on Namekagon Lake who’s been wanting to take a trip over from the Twin Cities for a weekend. It looks like we’re going to be heading out the weekend of 9/22 with my Ranger.

Obviously I’ve never been on the lake, though looking at the bathymetry it really looks like it has a lot to offer. We’d like to target smallmouth if at all possible, but largemouth are fine as well. I’m guessing the frog bite should be strong at that point in the season if nothing else!

Anybody have any tips or suggestions for me for that time of year? Of course I’d be willing to reciprocate with tips for any of the Twin Cities area lakes if that would be useful to anyone, or could even offer some suggestions for Mille Lacs if you find yourself heading that way.

I’ve read that the lake has a strong crappie population, and we’d not be opposed to breaking out the ultralights and slip bobbering up some dinner if that seems like it’d be a worthwhile endeavor. Fair to assume they should be suspended over mud basins at that time of year? Any general areas of the lake to check out for them?

I’m also not opposed to trying different lakes or even rivers (if relatively easily navigable...) in the area if there are better options, particularly if it improves our chances to get on a good smallmouth bite.

My biggest fear is running into fall turnover. Hopefully it’ll still be a little early for that.

Thanks in advance, guys!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

2. Member
    I last fished namekagon 2 years ago, we were up there for a week starting labor day. Sweet body of water, even in 4-5' you can run her wide open. All sand/weed, no rock. Only places to be careful are clearly marked on maps, in the little channels near a couple bridges if memory serves.

Can't help you with the fishing, we were after musky. But for eats, check out the loon saloon. Good times.

Rumor has it lake Owen, just west of cable, has some pretty good bass action. Haven't made it up there yet myself (it's about 4 hours away).

3. Member
    Smallmouth population at Namakgon is weak but there is decent largemouths in the weeds. I usually fish it in July or August though. I have a friend who can catch crappie there, me not so much. It really gets thrashed by the musky guys. Great Lake to run and well marked. Pizza at the Loon is awesome, wings at Pla-mor, Garmisch is a little higher end but well worth a dinner.
    Owen is coooool! Beautiful clear water, see the bottom in 10' of water. Decent pan fishing, especially down by the Johnson and Johnson estate, plastics catch bass in the far upper end. Lotsa deep water, not really my gig, but a beautiful lake nonetheless.
    1995 Stratos 275 Pro XL
    1995 150 Fastrike
    MG Xi5

Thanks for the info, gents! The food recommendations are especially helpful as I'm sure we'll be looking for good spots to eat. Also appreciate the navigation advice - nice to know there aren't going to be a lot of rock monsters to jump up and kiss my lower unit!

Owen sounds very interesting. Long and narrow with a ton of structure it appears! Ultra clear water is usually my nemesis, but I've had good luck on what I think is probably a similarly ultra-clear lake in west-central MN (Green Lake in Spicer). When you say upper end of Owen, is that the north end or south end? I'd normally think north, but I'm figuring it could be a part of the Great Lakes drainage and have some water flowing through it south to north making the south end the "upper" end.

After doing a bit more research since posting this message originally, I also realized just how close we're going to be to Chequamegon Bay. Under an hour it looks like. We'd be insane not to give it a shot if the wind wants to cooperate for us, right?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

5. Member
    Upper end is the north end, though I believe that's where it's fed from.
    1995 Stratos 275 Pro XL
    1995 150 Fastrike
    MG Xi5

6. Member
    If you're looking for more eats recommendations, head over to cable. Diners drive ins and dives hit one of the joints over there. I forget the name, but the food is worth it.

7. Member
    Oh - and dress accordingly. Our last 2 years labor day musky trips have been hoodie and sometimes even jacket weather. Gets cold early up in the Northwoods....

Good advice on both accounts. Living in MN has taught me that late summer can be more and more of a wildcard the further north you get! At a minimum, I've always got a mid-weight jacket and full rain suit in the boat. If I'm honest, I'm sure I've even needed it in the middle of July.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

I fish all of those lakes and my least favorite is namakagan. Round, Owen, Chequamagon, Gile are my favorites with a few that I will not name or say. Owen is fun for a lot of decent fish both green and brown and tons of fun structure to fish.

10. Member
    As it happens I'll be up near there arriving late 9/20 - 9/9/23. Strongly second Big Round (and if the winds are right Chequamagon). Round and especially LCO have plenty places to escape if the wind is howling. Grindstone may be a better SM numbers lake but Round has a bigger average size fish. Could simply be I've fished far more on Grindstone, yet caught more pigs on Round. Don't over look shallow no matter what you might hear at a bait shop. Dead stick a Lindy rigged big walleye sucker (wind drifting deep to shallow) on a Northland floating gumdrop. 5" walleye suckers are SM candy in the fall. A no bait kind of guy? Dead stick a Senko wacky if you are moving fast enough to keep it out of the rocks or Texas weightless if not. Multiple rods in Wi of course. While drifting cast downwind w tubes, Senkos, and cranks. When you run out of water slow troll back out w silver, blue, or gold original Rapalas repeat as necessary. Not a very sophisticated program but it has produced for me since my depth finder was a brick on a 20' foot rope. Now days if they are bunched up a specific depth I'll spotlock and hit them with what ever was working best as I searched for them. If you do try LCO boat to place is Angler Haven a great place to get a bite or a cold one and trip worthy even if you don't fish there / on Namekogen is Lakewoods resort / try DJ's Dock on Round. A morning off the water? Rent an AVT or UTV at Hayward Power Sports or Runamuck Rides and enjoy the extensive trail system and watch the trees turn.