481 vs livewell pumps...Rule?

Had one of my livewell pumps burn up on me this past weekend. At least I think that's what happened...it had been giving me issues before (weak when filling), so I figured it was on its last legs. I'd like to go ahead and order new cartridges for both pumps before digging into it so I only have to contort myself and get all sweaty once.

Can anyone confirm what the original pumps that were installed were? Rule? Boat is a 1995.

Thanks!!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

2. Member
    I’m thinking you have Johnson pumps. Mine is a ‘95 and that’s what I have.

3. Member
    If they are original they are Mayfair pumps which is now Johnson. Cartridges are the same.

https://www.amazon.com/JOHNSON-Johns.../dp/B00HFQLEOS
    1997 Ranger 482vs
    2013 150HO Etec
    Bassmaster Classic Edition

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishingman1950 View Post
    If they are original they are Mayfair pumps which is now Johnson. Cartridges are the same.

https://www.amazon.com/JOHNSON-Johns.../dp/B00HFQLEOS
    +1 unless someone changed them before

99% sure they’re original. Bright yellow color if I remember from when I did my flapper rebuild. You guys rock! Thanks!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Quick follow up...I believe mine had 750 gph pumps originally. I can get 500 or 1000 locally without having to wait for shipping. I don't want to go to 500 gph as I don't want to lose water volume, but have heard of people having overflow issues when putting bigger cartridges in them. Has anybody stuck a 1000 gph pump in one of these boats that can comment on whether it will cause my wells to overflow?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Ha. Dug in last night, and I suppose it was optimistic of me to think I had cartridge pumps in there. They are Mayfair/Johnson though, so good call there gents! The motor is instead built into the upper housing and isn’t replaceable like a cartridge.

New pumps on the way...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Final update in case someone finds this one in the future.

I stuck Attwood Tsunami t800 (800 GPH) aerator pumps in the old girl. Required a 3/4"-14 NPSM threaded to 3/4" hose barb adapter that they got to soak me for $8 on (Attwood part number 3899-3), but I'd highly recommend this route to anyone having to do it in the future. In order to get it to fit where my original hoses were, I needed to cut off 3/4 or more of the threads that mate up to the valve. This put the motor itself much further back toward the transom - not tucked up under the livewell like the original was - and means that getting to the cartridges should the motor go out in the future will be a piece of cake. The Johnson pumps still would've wound up tucked up under the livewells.

It also turns out that the original pumps were only 500 GPH, so my fish should be happier now as well.

It's wild to me that the original pumps lasted 24 years. They still had sharpie writing on them that said "481," I presume due to the fact that different boats got different pumps and so marking which ones went where helped the folks in the factory make sure to grab the right ones.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Just went through this nightmare. Lost the flappers in both valves.(25+ years old) So I dug down and replaced both. Pat myself on the back. Hi five my wife so all is good WRONG. Had a tx a few days later, had our limit in the first hour turn pumps on. Go to check on fish and one well is dry. Thought I lost a pump. Got home and pump is fine. Problem both wells full right well works fine, left one pumps water out through the overflow. There not even connected After talking with Aron at flowrite he suggested back flushing, that was it. Sprayhead was clogged with rubber and water was spraying into the other livewell then out the overflow. Three weeks later all is good. Len

And my pumps are mayfair 750 with cartridge. 1992 392V
    Last edited by LEN B; 08-10-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    1992 RANGER 392V 200 MERC

10. Member
    My factory installed ones were 500 gph. One crapped out in the first few years. Live well level always stayed low. Put in a 750 gph and that could pump the live well up to the overflow. Saw that happening replaced the other 500 with a 750. This was on a 1992 492vs. Right from the start I could never keep enough water in the wells to keep the fishes shoulders under water. The 750’s solved that issue.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI

Yep, I didn't think mine were low, but they're definitely fuller now! I think the new pumps are getting the water to the top of the overflow before the overflow can "keep up" instead of just touching it like they must have done before. They didn't overflow this weekend despite running just about all day both days which was something I was a little worried about.

I caught a big smallmouth first thing Saturday morning and I know how they like to die so that side never shut off. Had the side with largemouth in it on 1 minute on and 1 minute off. Then yesterday morning had a small limit in the first 15 minutes so they were on 1 minute on 1 minute off all day from that point on.

My battery also had more of a charge at the end of the day than usual both days, so even though the new pumps are 800 GPH they must draw less amperage. Suppose that's not surprising with 25 years worth of new technology in DC motors....assuming advances are still being made with DC motors.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"