Question Lake Butler Chain - Feedback

Thinking about putting Lake Butler on a bass club tournament trail for 2019.

I visited the FWC ramp website, to get some knowledge of the chain.

However, would appreciate feedback regarding this chain from BBC members who have been there recently.

What are the ramp conditions ?

Is there enough trailer parking spaces ?

Is there parking for boats once they are in the water near the ramp ?

Most important what's the fishing like ?

I know it's a deep water chain, what's the conditions of the lake ?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated....

2. Member
    Ramp is ok, plenty of parking and you can launch 2 at a time, however it does not open until the county parks guy shows up to unlock it. There is no long dock or area to beach your boats. In the afternoon depending on what time of year you fish it the ramp can be a clusterf..k. There will be jet skiers, water skiers, pontoon boats and the family that takes the boat out once a year. Fishing is good, lots of deep grass to fish, but in the summer months you will be surrounded by the above mentioned group. If you decide to add it to the schedule I suggest Dec, Jan or February.
    Brad Krone

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonBrad View Post
    Ramp is ok, plenty of parking and you can launch 2 at a time, however it does not open until the county parks guy shows up to unlock it. There is no long dock or area to beach your boats. In the afternoon depending on what time of year you fish it the ramp can be a clusterf..k. There will be jet skiers, water skiers, pontoon boats and the family that takes the boat out once a year. Fishing is good, lots of deep grass to fish, but in the summer months you will be surrounded by the above mentioned group. If you decide to add it to the schedule I suggest Dec, Jan or February.
    X2.

4. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    I don't know if it's possible, but I'd ask around and see if you can get your club into the Orange County Sportsman Association.. Much nicer facility for a tournament..

5. Member
    I am a member of Orange County Sportsman’s Association. I seriously doubt that they will allow a club access. One the weekends it is packed with the jet skis and ski boats. I sent an email to the club director though just to ask. I will let you know.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

6. Member
    firemech048,

Thanks for the help. Our club would have less than twenty boats participating in a tournament.

Also a 35 mph speed limit on the entire chain...with strict idle zones...heavily patrolled on the weekends.

When we had our tournament there last year....we were parked out on the roads in both directions in the morning. It only took about 30 minutes to get everyone in the water...once the ranger got there and opened the gate.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

8. Member
    The sherriff office and orange county have dropped the speed limit.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

9. Member
    They do usually have two patrol boats on the chain. As long as you obey idle areas they are pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by firemech048 View Post
    The sherriff office and orange county have dropped the speed limit.
    Really????

Removed the speed limit, or lowered it?

Removed would be cool...

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

11. Member
    I still run 70 out there at times... Been fishing it for about 10 years with no issues. Fishing is pretty good out there. The weekends are a mess though, jet ski's, skii boats and lots of idiots clogging up the ramp and dock. I was there about 6 weeks ago and the dock was gone.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

12. Member
    Yes the officer that has patrolled the butler chain for years told us that it was removed. I know i am on the chain alot and run my boat wide open alot. Never had a problem.

13. Member
    The facility was not designed to be user friendly. It was built against the wealthy property owners wishes who do not want public access to the chain. The layout is not at all friendly to a tournament. No place to dock boats, parking area is far from ramp, difficult to weigh in and then walk back to release fish. I would not go there unless it was late in the year as mentioned or it is a circus that you would not want to be a part of. Check it out on google maps

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Or...!4d-81.5361124

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Ok I live 2 hours from there and I agree with the rich Orlando people not wanting those pesky bass fisherman in “their” lakes, but why does google maps say Max 35mph Manatee Zone over all the chain!?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Ok I live 2 hours from there and I agree with the rich Orlando people not wanting those pesky bass fisherman in “their” lakes, but why does google maps say Max 35mph Manatee Zone over all the chain!?
    Speed limit was recently removed since January of 2017....that's when we had a tournament there and the speed limit was still in place.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    And,(sorry hit the submit button) I don’t fish those lakes as much as I’d really like to because I simply don’t know the area and don’t know of a reliable ramp to try those lakes. I’m sure each of those lakes hold awesome fish but I stay away from those specific lakes. It’s a shame too, I was born in Tampa and I won’t go there. Kinda sucks actually!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV