Carry Gun Capacity

I just saw this posted on Fox News site about the shooting at a school supplies charity benefit in Florida. I watched the video and will say that I am glad a CCW holder was there and carrying. I hope I would do the same in that situation. The other thing that stood out to me was the number of shots. I counted 12 shots in the video and only 1 person was injured. Has me really thinking about my CCW and its capacity. I have never felt outgunned with my SW Shield and 9 rounds, but that guy put 12 rounds down range quick and from the article the criminal still lived.

So my question is how important do you think capacity is over comfort? My philosophy has always been better to have a gun that comfortable to wear than a larger one in the safe or glovebox.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/06...olice-say.html

Single shot would be better then nothing, one shot one kill philosophy. Comfort for me! I can shoot my revolvers better than any my semis. Having only 5 or 6 that are accurate, is better than 15 from a bulky black gun.

I carry to protect myself and my family everyone else is SOL. My plan is getting my family to safety not to engage an active shooter unless he/she becomes a direct threat. I feel that most carry guns are designed for this mindset so I am fine with 12-14 rounds. I do not give two craps about anyone else who failed to be prepared and very likely has a problem with someone carrying. I know it is a crappy way to look at it, but I am not a cop. I am not prepared to engage an active shooter especially with a long gun. That's not to say I would not act if needed, but it is not my main plan or goal.

Number of rounds are of extremely high importance! Which is why I carry a 9mm instead of something bigger. When you are in that stressful of a situation you are never going to be as accurate as at the range without EXTENSIVE training, and even then you won't be 100%. Law enforcement only shoots at around 30% accuracy in officer involved shootings. I carry the highest capacity and longest barrel in 9mm I can comfortably carry depending on clothing. With bullet technology today a 9mm is just as, if not more lethal than a .40 or .45. Not to mention quicker and more accurate follow up shots.

The FBI and most leo's agree that capacity, and follow up shots are THE most important thing 9mm and above

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/gu...-pistol-round/
    Last edited by NiteBite6855; 08-06-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    I just feel if your that far away you should be running not shooting.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

6. Member
    To answer the OP's question. I don't consider comfort or capacity when deciding what weapon to carry. I carry the weapon I feel most confident including the ability to put rounds on target. I do carry a spare magazine. This doesn't mean I go looking for trouble. I pray to God I never have to use my weapon against a threat. So far that prayer has been answered.

7. Member
    RodneyP, I completely agree i definitely am not of the mindset that I will ever be the one that ninja rolls out of the cracker aisle at the 7/11 to stop a robbery. I train regularly and am a pretty good shot with my carry gun. I have just seen alot of incidents lately that have me really thinking about capacity and definitely reinforcing the need to carry every day. I dont know if I am paranoid or what, but since my son was born 2 years ago my entire mindset has changed. Recently have put Get Home Bags in each of our vehicles and started to really think about things in the house in case of emergency or other situations.

8. Member
    I appendix carry, which is comfortable and easy for me to conceal just about any handgun. I also train often, including reloading drills. I carry an appendix rig with a built in spare mag holder, so my edc equals 31 rounds.m&p 2.0 compact(15+1) and a spare mag.

9. Member
    Comfort and ability to shoot accurately are my first concerns because first and foremost, I A) want to make sure that I have it and B) can hit what I intend to. On my carry guns that have less capacity, I simply carry an extra mag. One thing that i found was I started with carrying a smaller gun based upon comfort. The more I carried the less I noticed it there and as a result I was more comfortable carrying a larger gun with more capacity and never really noticed it as much as I though I would. Started with a S&W shield, went to a HK VP40 and now mostly carry a Sig P365 which for me is a nice middle ground for capacity and size. To each his own but by all means carry SOMETHING, anything....and practice.
    5 Short of a limit

10. Member
    I only have 7 + one chambered. He might have shot 12 rounds but they were not accurate, or he would not have had to keep shooting.. Its not how many shots fired, but the first 2 that count. Practice often but more importantly get the heart rate up then shoot. Set the firearm down at the shooting station, then take a short all out run, then come back and shoot. Id be surprised if you hit the target when you first start doing it. No doubt your heart will feel like its going to blow out of your chest if your ever faced with that. Get the heart rate up. Yes I practice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    I only have 7 + one chambered. He might have shot 12 rounds but they were not accurate, or he would not have had to keep shooting.. Its not how many shots fired, but the first 2 that count. Practice often but more importantly get the heart rate up then shoot. Set the firearm down at the shooting station, then take a short all out run, then come back and shoot. Id be surprised if you hit the target when you first start doing it. No doubt your heart will feel like its going to blow out of your chest if your ever faced with that. Get the heart rate up. Yes I practice like this.
    You may want to read this. It changed my thinking
    https://www.policeone.com/police-her...mo-on-the-job/

This is very interesting also, about why law enforcement are swapping to 9mm. It makes a lot of sense!

http://concealednation.org/2014/10/f...heir-decision/

13. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Revolver. Six shots..if you can't get the job done with that, then you damn sure don't need to be spraying rounds downrange killing more innocents.

Your "comfort" should be in knowing that you can be accurate with what you shoot.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteBite6855 View Post
    You may want to read this. It changed my thinking
    https://www.policeone.com/police-her...mo-on-the-job/
    Big difference between an officer and a CCW permit holder. I'm got going around armed for or looking for a fire fight.

15. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    G30S (.45 ACP)... 11 rounds in carry mode; 14 rounds (w/G21 mag) on the nightstand... It's a tool.

Honestly, my S&W 66 in .357 is probably my favorite.
    Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Big difference between an officer and a CCW permit holder. I'm got going around armed for or looking for a fire fight.
    What does that have to do with ineffectiveness of hits? Did you read the article or just the headline?

17. Member
    [QUOTE=NiteBite6855;9569176]This is very interesting also, about why law enforcement are swapping to 9mm. It makes a lot of sense!

The city and county here locally were using 9mm, until they had a shooting and the 9.. went thru the suspect and struck a woman behind the man. They quickly changed to the 40 and are still carrying it. Cop didn't have a choice, the man drew on the cop.