1998 273 stratos top speed help

Hey I'm new to the bass boat world. Just purchased my first bass boat it's a 1998 273 stratos with a evinrude 150 Fitch fuel injected. With a 14 1/2 x 24 ss raker prop. No jackplate. I'm only getting about 40mph gps out of my boat is this right? And what should I look for to improve these numbers. On a budget bc of my upcoming wedding so I'd like to get the most out of my stock setup for right now. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I have a 99 273 with 115 johnson faststrike and getting 53 mph gps. Stock setup. That tournament load and 2 guys. You should be getting way more speed than 40 mph.

You need to make sure the engine is running properly. Post in the Johnson/Evinrude forum with your model and serial number. That boat should touch 70 when set up right.
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

At the very least do a compression test to see the condition of the cylinders and check to make sure you're firing on all 6 cylinders. If you don't know how to do those tests, pick up an OEM service manual for that motor! You should be getting low to mid 60s once you learn how to drive that boat!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

It's know as a fast little boat. Advise you to do what others have said and make friends with an experienced bass boater to help. When that boat is right you will need to know how to drive it.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

What rpm are you seeing when your at the max speed of 40 mph...If everything is healthy and set up correct a 150 with a 24 raker on that hull should see 60 ish around 5500 rpm.

7. Member
    Thanks guys for your advice I'm headed to the lake today and I'll check all numbers and post numbers asap. I'll also check my compression and see where it stands also.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Indianabasser View Post
    You need to make sure the engine is running properly. Post in the Johnson/Evinrude forum with your model and serial number. That boat should touch 70 when set up right.
    Boat will never touch 70 with 150.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Boat will never touch 70 with 150.
    I recall a few guys saying that have hit 70-72. Ed were you one of them??
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

10. Member
    I have squeezed 62 out of mine but I don't have a fast strike
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator
    2000 Johnson 150hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 Si
    Humminbird Helix 5 sonar
    Bonifide SS127

I stand corrected. Guess at 39 I'm not as sharp as I once was.
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indianabasser View Post
    I stand corrected. Guess at 39 I'm not as sharp as I once was.
    It is capable of doing 70 or slightly better however it is not normal and only a very handful of people have been able to achieve that speed. There is MULTIPLE things that need to happen if you're going to see 70 out of that hull with 150 HP. First and foremost is the setup must be fine tuned. You need a 6" jackplate and the prop to pad height has to be dialed in perfect. It's best if you have a motor that is capable of turning 25 or 26 pitch three blade to 56-5700....not going to happen with a Ficht. Maybe with a carburetor Fast Strike or Intruder that is tuned perfect and in great health but you're simply not going to do it with a DFI Ficht. A balanced a blue printed prop is also another must. Then you must know how to drive a boat that is capable of chine walking and be able to keep it under control before it gets out of hand. Also your load needs to be very light. Your not going to do it with two bubbas, livewell full and bass prop shop in the storage compartment. Your weight must be light and balanced because to get 70 she is going to chinewalk like a beast. Then the conditions need to be ideal...cool air helps your engine make its optimal horsepower. Cool water is more dense and this allows the prop to bite better resulting is less slip. Then a light breeze of 3-4 mph to put a light ripple on the water will help. Glass smooth is better than rough but glass smooth is not as fast as a light ripple.

Now real world numbers. A 273 with 150 HP is a low to mid 60's boat day in and day out with marginal set up required. I know I list a lot of things for optimal speed but if they're meet then 70-71 can be done. I seen it done on my local lake several years ago and I have seen it done on a youtube video. If my memory is correct the youtube video is actually a BBC member. The OP said he was getting 40 mph of of his combo. Something is severely wrong if that is the case. If he were getting 57-58 then I would say his setup needs fine tuning. I ask for his RPM at 40 MPH and never got a reply back. To get to the bottom of why he is only seeing 40 mph I need to know a ton more information...He never said he wanted to see 70 but for that to happen he had better break out his pocket book. 59-62 is very realistic.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy Gene. Great read as well!
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    It is capable of doing 70 or slightly better however it is not normal and only a very handful of people have been able to achieve that speed. There is MULTIPLE things that need to happen if you're going to see 70 out of that hull with 150 HP. First and foremost is the setup must be fine tuned. You need a 6" jackplate and the prop to pad height has to be dialed in perfect. It's best if you have a motor that is capable of turning 25 or 26 pitch three blade to 56-5700....not going to happen with a Ficht. Maybe with a carburetor Fast Strike or Intruder that is tuned perfect and in great health but you're simply not going to do it with a DFI Ficht. A balanced a blue printed prop is also another must. Then you must know how to drive a boat that is capable of chine walking and be able to keep it under control before it gets out of hand. Also your load needs to be very light. Your not going to do it with two bubbas, livewell full and bass prop shop in the storage compartment. Your weight must be light and balanced because to get 70 she is going to chinewalk like a beast. Then the conditions need to be ideal...cool air helps your engine make its optimal horsepower. Cool water is more dense and this allows the prop to bite better resulting is less slip. Then a light breeze of 3-4 mph to put a light ripple on the water will help. Glass smooth is better than rough but glass smooth is not as fast as a light ripple.

Now real world numbers. A 273 with 150 HP is a low to mid 60's boat day in and day out with marginal set up required. I know I list a lot of things for optimal speed but if they're meet then 70-71 can be done. I seen it done on my local lake several years ago and I have seen it done on a youtube video. If my memory is correct the youtube video is actually a BBC member. The OP said he was getting 40 mph of of his combo. Something is severely wrong if that is the case. If he were getting 57-58 then I would say his setup needs fine tuning. I ask for his RPM at 40 MPH and never got a reply back. To get to the bottom of why he is only seeing 40 mph I need to know a ton more information...He never said he wanted to see 70 but for that to happen he had better break out his pocket book. 59-62 is very realistic.
    I posted a video of my 285 w/ 175 Fast Strike that could run low 70's... so it is possible, but it wasnt easy!

The OP's boat, engine running correctly and set up well, should run mid-60's on average in my opinion. There are a lot of variables at play, but it should certainly be able to run 60 at least, so something is not right. Health of motor needs to be verified first. Then check prop. Where in GA do you live? If you are close enough to Hartwell I'd be happy to take a look at it for you sometime.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

15. Member
    Chine walk shyed me away its not a speed boat its my fishing boat.
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator
    2000 Johnson 150hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 Si
    Humminbird Helix 5 sonar
    Bonifide SS127

16. Member
    Sorry the late update I currently have the boat in the shop getting it looked over my tac wasn't working correctly when I last went on the water so the numbers I had where not reliable. I apologize for the lack of information. Its hard for me to get to the water as of lately with my upcoming wedding. I should be getting it out of the shop this week and should be able to post all information requested. Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions.

17. Member
    My 273 with 150 faststrike with 6" jack plate would run around 60 to 65 mph.

18. Banned
    With the first year model 150 fast strike, a friend of mine got just over 73 out of a 273. His job was R & D for a boat company, and about he did was figure out to get more speed out of a bass boat. He was good at it to. That was not loaded and turned a 28 prop 5500 I believe.

I have a 273 and until I get my hydraulic steering in, I am only getting 61-63 depending on load. Once I get steering in, should be able to raise motor back up. Had to lower it, can't turn the steering wheel, the cables are done. I have the hydraulic steering, just haven't had time to put it in.