2006 Ranger 188vs with Johnson 150 Carb

I bought this boat used from a Marine dealer. Had compression checked out and all is good. Idles a little rough but starts up easily and comes out of the hole nicely. However, I can only get 4500-4800 rpms on top end at 43 mph with new 24p Raker HO. I have a 22p Tempest prop but don't get more than 47-48 mph at 5200 rpm. Is the 24p too much? Also, it acts like it is running out of fuel when at full throttle. Back off a little and it picks up and goes for a minute an then loses speed again. Have to find the magic spot in the throttle to keep speed up. So far, don't feel like I am getting the boat up on pad to go faster. Any recommendations?

do you know if it's a FICHT Johnson? Sounds like either you have fuel pump issue, the primer bulb is not collapsing or clogged fuel filter. Buddy of mine just had the same issue but on his 150 Optimax.

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

3. Member
    thanks strids97...I am going to check next time out if bulb is collapsing and try choke at WOT. I thought about fuel filter and plan to replace this week.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Per rule one, model number please?

TRSSI7924 - if it's a FICHT engine you can't choke it because it's fuel injected. That was Evinrude's first Direct Injection... RAM FICHT which is what I would expect. The first FICHT engines in the late 90's were not very good RAM FICHT (Gen2) replace it and was a lot better. If it's a FICHT engine (take a picture of the cover or model number number would help too). I know johnson did still make some carbed 150's in the early 2000's but not sure when they stopped before the Etech's came out. ChampioNman would know that i'm sure.

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

6. Member
    Then not a ficht motor. It is carburedted I think after speaking with another boater it may be the powerpack going out. So I am going to try all these suggestions then replace powerpack.

7. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trssi7924 View Post
    Then not a ficht motor. It is carburedted I think after speaking with another boater it may be the powerpack going out. So I am going to try all these suggestions then replace powerpack.
    Awesome troubleshooting skills,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

8. Member
    Well my 2006 Johnson J150GLSDE 150 (carburetor) still is not achieving top end. I checked for collapsing bulb, not the problem. I tried choking at WOT, no change (hard not to kill engine as chokes is part of ignition switch). New fuel filter, new spark plugs and wires, new power pack and optical sensor, yet no improvement. I guess next stop is appointment with mechanic. By the way, is 24p prop too big? It had 21p Tempest and would run 5200+ rpm but no speed. So I put a 24p Raker on it and rpm now is 4400 maximum and no additional speed.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    At least you've got a spare pack and EET. You may want to check this out before taking it in. Not sure how far you are from Riverside Marine in Old Hickory but they are pretty good. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=11790

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    You went the wrong way with the prop is why you're not getting the rpms... Depending on the hull the 150 will usually carry a 24p prop to the factory recommended rpms. Did you see the compression check? If not I would pull one my self.....

Had a similar problem with the Yamaha on my Stratos. Ended up being the anti-siphon valve on my fuel tank.

Cheap and easy to replace if you can access it.
    Wishing I was Fishing

12. Member
    Wanted to say thanks to all who provided feedback on my problem. I finally took the boat to a local mechanic and he solved the problem. Turns out he is an expert in OMC/Johnson engines. One of the carb bowls was completely cracked open and the other 5 were warped and cracked but not all they way through. In addition, the fuel hose was wrong type and inner liner was gone! Apparently the previous owner ran a lot of ethanol gasoline. Anyway, he changed the bowls and rebuilt the carbs and now turning 5300 rpm with 24p Raker running 57 mph!

This a great site, thanks again.

13. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar