Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Searching for honest feedback. Preparing ofr purchase.

Hey guys. I spent s day and a half with Terry Wingo and Darris Allison, and test drove Terry's new Bassport Pro. We then rode to the factory, and I took a look at an older 2+2 that was there, and a partially built Prosport. Decisions, Decisions! I would love to hear from guys that own each model, and learn some pros and cons on each one. Of course, My wife likes the 2+2 since the grandkids are getting to an age to come fishing with us, but I am not sold on the flip up consoles, or the side storage compartments with the sliding door, it just seems like a lot of stuff to rattle in rough water. So, and all input, as well as pictures of the boat, storage, etc. is very much appreciated. Thanks!

I have spent a lot of time in the 2+2 and Prosport and own a XB21 Prosport. Recently I got the opportunity to drive an XST and fish in a Bassport Pro. You can't go wrong with any of them.

If you have a family or kids and you plan on taking them out the 2+2 or Prosport are your boats. I really like the Prosport, but I fish tournaments and the boat doesn't have the best layout for that. Not that you can't do it, I just think the 2+2 would fish better in a tournament and still be a family cruiser. The wind/rain protection cannot be beat in the Prosport. That and the cold weather running. You never feel the elements. If you are someplace that gets super hot in the summer you will need to remove the windshield to get a little wind.

I regularly have 3-5 in my boat or the Bassport Pro 2 seater would be the boat I own.

My father is almost 70. He has a very difficult time with my Prosport. The side step up to the front deck is small and right on the side of the boat. It is a little iffy for him without a really good spot to hold on to. The front seats are also very low and hard to get in and out of for him. The "traditional" bassboat side seats would be much better. When he comes with I put the passenger seat in the back to make it easier.

The Prosport is difficult to fish 3 in. It is just a little too short up front for two. In addition all your rods are pushed off in front of the driver so the step is clear. With kids I have been hooked twice and had many broken poles if left by the step. With adults it is better. The middle (top) rod storage is also short on one side of a Prosport, so only certain rods fit.

On the plus side the Prosport handles passenger weight extremely well since the two seats are closer to the center. I can run with a 270lb passenger and not adjust weight. They just get in the boat and we go.

The side storage bins don't rattle on mine. I really don't use them much. I keep my kids rods in them.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

3. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I owned a 2+2 for several years and it was my first Allison. It was just my wife and I and the only time I ever had a 3rd or 4th passenger was at a rally. I owned it for almost 4 years. It is spacious and comfortable and your wife will love you for it. My fishing bud loved all the room in the back with the 2 rear seats removed. Actually, I never did use the back row seats.

I traded it for my current Pro 2 seater and this boat suites me perfectly. I have more up front compartment space for tackle along with a rod locker. But again, it's just my wife and me. The 2+2 now has an option for a rod organizer in the front deck center compartment.

Talk it over with your wife and think about how much time will the grand kids actually spend in the boat and who will use it primarily. Seriously, the wife will love the Pro because of the larger more spacious area in the passenger seat. My wife really liked the 2+2 but after she pent a bit of time in the Pro she liked it more than the 2+2.

If she like to sun on the deck while you fish then do her a big favor and get the rear deck padded as well as the front deck.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

4. Member
    You were and are wise to take test rides in all the different models that you can. I have several very good friends who own boats other than the Pro Elite 2 seaters like the 3 I have owned I've ridden in them and fished out of them and pretty much see how a family would be much better off in a 2+2 or a Prosport. If serious fishing and tourney's are in your plans go with the Pro but if you are not planning on a lot of tourneys and such and will be riding multiple people in the boat often, the 2+2 or Prosport would be my choice hands down. There are some pretty good deals on boats right now. It's a good time to be shopping.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    All 3 are great boats but each serves a different purpose. I personally prefer the 2 seater as I am a more traditional fisherman and my wife doesnt like to fish or boat.

Saying that if you decide to go the Prosport route I have a super clean 2017 XB21 Prosport for sale that could save you some money.

I also have a 2008 XB21 BasSport Pro (2 seater).
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

6. Member
    I've owned 3 of the xb2003s which are a smaller 20' version of the xb-21 pro sport and I truly enjoyed that model. The wide console is absolutely unmatched in protection from the wind unless you are in a cabin boat!!

I currently own a xb-21 BasSport Pro 2 seater. It is the best tournament boat in my opinion because of the long front deck and traditional layout.

I am currently coaching for my son's high school bass team so 99% of the time I'm in my boat now, it is me, my son and his partner. This is where the 2+2 would shine because it would provide a real seat for the third person instead of sitting on the trash receptacle. The pro-sport would also provide the extra seat so either of them would be the ticket with multiple passengers.

With all of that said, I really like my current boat but the all red pro sport Tim has for sale (post above this one) would be a great boat.

It's a great "problem" to have when choosing which 21' Allison because they are all awesome boats.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    I've owned 3 of the xb2003s which are a smaller 20' version of the xb-21 pro sport and I truly enjoyed that model. The wide console is absolutely unmatched in protection from the wind unless you are in a cabin boat!!

I currently own a xb-21 BasSport Pro 2 seater. It is the best tournament boat in my opinion because of the long front deck and traditional layout.

I am currently coaching for my son's high school bass team so 99% of the time I'm in my boat now, it is me, my son and his partner. This is where the 2+2 would shine because it would provide a real seat for the third person instead of sitting on the trash receptacle. The pro-sport would also provide the extra seat so either of them would be the ticket with multiple passengers.

With all of that said, I really like my current boat but the all red pro sport Tim has for sale (post above this one) would be a great boat.

It's a great "problem" to have when choosing which 21' Allison because they are all awesome boats.
    There is a contingency if you buy the red prosport from Tim Powell. There is a lifetime contract that anytime me and Joe Lee want to come see it and drive it should you buy it, we can do so with 4 minutes notice. LOL. It is that nice!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    There is a contingency if you buy the red prosport from Tim Powell. There is a lifetime contract that anytime me and Joe Lee want to come see it and drive it should you buy it, we can do so with 4 minutes notice. LOL. It is that nice!
    Yes!
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

9. Member
    Thanks for the input. I'm really starting to lean towards the 2+2, but man if Tim's Prosport had a little more red on it... Lol.

10. Member
    I love my prosport! Just forgot what it looks like lol

IMG_20180211_2245.jpg
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

11. Member
    The red one glows. I had never considered a prosport until I saw that one in person.
    Last edited by xb03fs; 08-07-2018 at 03:52 PM.

12. Member
    Agreed Nathan. That boat is special indeed.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Hard for me to add anything that has not already been said.
    To me the perfect setup------put the prosport console on a bassport……. My next rig will most likely be a bassport but I will sure miss the protection of my prosport. My #1 priority is tournament fishing.

14. Member
    I’ve owned a 2+2 and a ProSport. My wife fishes with me 95% of the time and the 2+2 wins hands down IMO. It’s not uncommon to bring a child or grandchild so having seating available behind the drivers seat is mandatory.
    The flip up consoles are a bonus to me as you have 2 compartments on the port side and accessibility to fuses and back side of the graph and gauges is a real convenience on the starboard side.
    The 2+2 gives you a cooler in the center step, center storage for rods or just additional gear. I don’t like the side slide lockers for rod storage so I have the rod holders excluded when I order.
    If you can talk Darris into it, a 2+2 is the only Allison that can be a single or dual console with the same boat. They just don’t offer quick detach hinge assembly.
    Last edited by scj; 08-06-2018 at 11:18 PM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post
    I’ve owned a 2+2 and a ProSport. My wife fishes with me 95% of the time and the 2+2 wins hands down IMO. It’s not uncommon to bring a child or grandchild so having seating available behind the drivers seat is mandatory.
    The flip up consoles are a bonus to me as you have 2 compartments on the port side and accessibility to fuses and back side of the graph and gauges is a real convenience on the starboard side.
    The 2+2 gives you a cooler in the center step, center storage for rods or just additional gear. I don’t like the side slide lockers for rod storage so I have the rod holders excluded when I order.
    If you can talk Darris into it, a 2+2 is the only Allison that can be a single or dual console with the same boat. They just don’t offer quick detach hinge assembly.
    Just curious if I'm missing something. The Bassport Pro can be single or duel console as well so I'm assuming you are talking about a removable console right?

My 2+2 is the perfect boat for me because of my family boating time and normally I carry two guys fishing with me when I go to the bigger lakes... I love almost everything about the boat, but I would change a couple things like the rod storage and some of the junk electronics it came with, but I'll put up with the few bad things to enjoy the rest of perfect family/fishing boat!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Just curious if I'm missing something. The Bassport Pro can be single or duel console as well so I'm assuming you are talking about a removable console right?
    The only difference between a dual or single console 2+2 is which cover sets on the port side compartment. There’s a member on here that has both covers that allows him to switch between single or dual console on his 2+2.
    I plan to order another 2+2 later this year and I’ll try to talk Darris into building both even though I doubt I’ll ever configure it into a single console.

18. Member
    Thanks again everyone. It looks like it will probably be a 2+2. I would love to see some pictures of your 2+2 boats so I can show the wife.

I own the 2+2 and have logged a mile or two in both the ProSport and Pro models I can say any of the 3 will run and fish pretty well. I like the rod storage on the Pro the best as well as the larger front deck. Draw backs are limited seating if needed. ProSport is the ultimate in wind control and in my opinion the best cruiser of the bunch with the extra seating and ability to make into side steer or center steer as well as huge open storage under the front deck. Draw backs are the side step up on front deck and ease of access for front driver and passenger seats plus lack of storage compartments under the front deck. 2+2 is still my favorite all round and I really love the flip up consoles for easy access and dual storage on the passenger side plus above rod storage is handy. I keep 12 on the topside even though there is storage for 8.
    Center storage will hold 7' rods even without rod holders. Draw backs
    side under rod storage is useless unless you are using 6' or less rods. Also wished mine had e-ped and larger driver console for bigger graphs.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

20. Member
    I completely disagree with you Jay on the side rod storage, I have several 7 foot rods and one 8 foot rod in my side boxes in the tubes.

Johnny Johnson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast