Reel Spool Bearings???

Want to upgrade the spool bearings in some of my lower end reels to maybe enhance there castability. They are I think Gen 2 Abu Orra's. Anyhow, I went to Tackle Trap to look at the bearings and it's a bearing over load. Looking for some unprofessional opinions on bearings. Which ones to buy and what the differences are between the different brands. Thanks.

I really like the BOCA Lightning 5's. I run them all, ZPI, Hedgehog Air, Air HD, BOCA OS, full ceramics, etc., etc.. and don't see enough difference to warrant the upcharge. Brian.

3. Banned
    Bocas are just Chinese bearings with a high price tag, same with those garbage Spool Speeds. Get either Hawg Tech spool bearings, or if you want to spend some cheese, ZPi or Hedgehog Studio ZRs. I run the HawgTechs dry, and they are really impressive for the money.

4. Member
    I’m not a fan of the boca bearings in my shimanos. But I have 2 reels with the ZPI bearings and if I had the funds I’d replace a lot more of them.

5. Member
    I tried Boca and never again. Have used ZPI bearings since and I love them.

6. Member
    ZPI are my favorite

ZPI and YT Fusion bearings have been great. I will tell you up front that you will only see a noticeable difference on reels that have a spool shaft. If you throw them on a Daiwa spool that doesn't have a spool shaft then you won't see much improvement.

The Tackle Trap sells BOCA, ZPI, and Hedgehog Studio bearings. I have spent a lot of time on the water with all of them. Far and away ZPI or HH AIR (HD) are my favorites. The more economical Hedgehog ZR bearings are the "best bang for the buck" in looking for a value bearing.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The Tackle Trap sells BOCA, ZPI, and Hedgehog Studio bearings. I have spent a lot of time on the water with all of them. Far and away ZPI or HH AIR (HD) are my favorites. The more economical Hedgehog ZR bearings are the "best bang for the buck" in looking for a value bearing.
    This

10. Member
    I'm done with Boca hybrids, especially the 7's. HH for me from now on.

11. Member
    Started with Boca orange seals at first now I use ZPI. I'll probably try some Hedgehog next. I typically only add bearings to my Curados and not higher end reels except for a couple Chronarchs I've bought on here used.

12. Member
    +1 for Hedgehog ZRs
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

13. Member
    Another vote for ZPI's and HH's. In fact i'll be getting more ZPI's from the Trap soon!

Way...Way better than the Bocas. The Bocas are nothing more than noisy stock bearings. Virtually no difference but louder.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    Another vote for ZPI's and HH's. In fact i'll be getting more ZPI's from the Trap soon!

Way...Way better than the Bocas. The Bocas are nothing more than noisy stock bearings. Virtually no difference but louder.
    They’re loud alright. Gonna call the Trap too

15. Member
    I dont know about Abu bearings, but I just flush my Shimano bearings and its much better. I tried bocas on 2 reels and hated them, stock bearings are much better. I tried the cheapest zpi’s and they are much better than bocas. Id try flushing bearings 1st before buying new ones.