New NitroZ21 with new merc prop question?

Anyone have any experience with what prop would be the best for big waves in the nitro z21 with the new Mercury 4 stroke. It came with a 23 pitch 3 blade fury but I am interested in what prop I should try for big water? I curious if a high 5 would be the best and if so what pitch? Or perhaps the Fury 4 blade....any thoughts.

Ran mine this weekend. Fury 3 did good. High 5 is a ski prop, not all round good prop..
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Erie guys like the high five due to the amount of grip they get with it. Plus the responsiveness they get from throttle input lets them run the rollers that Erie is famous for in a controlled manner. That being said...that was NOT on the new Merc four stroke but I can't see it being a whole lot different from the 2 stroke as far as how the high five performs on the engine itself.

I have ran one was not happy with the results. Yes it did grip in turns and waves better, but offered no lift. I would prefer the trophy or Fury 4 over the high5 as Im sure it will get u better all round results.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I am guessing by the OP's location that big water might be Erie...maybe Upper Chesapeake. Not much need for allot of lift on that water, except for the occasional flat water morning run. Grip and handling are the keys to running the Erie waters.
    Fury 4 might be a good option as well.

6. Member
    I can tell you for sure, he runs big water a lot!!!!!

I vote fury 4, or a bravo1xs.

I would not even consider a high five.

7. Member
    Don’t have the 4s but can say the bravo does better than my fury 4
    Nitro z21

8. Member
    I would try a 23 or 24 Bravo1XS from Rothwell Marine. They will let you exchange for a different pitch or prop within 30 days if still in as new condition. The Bravo1XS (2015 model or newer) prop does better on the Nitro Z21 hull than the Fury 4 according to people that have tried both. Talk to Rothwell on the phone before ordering because you might actually need the Bravo 1FS. I watched you test the Fury 4 blades on YouTube. I run a 25 Bravo1XS on my 2018 Z21 2 stroke.
    Last edited by zeke4351; 09-22-2018 at 08:25 PM.

9. Member

Go up 2 pitches sizes

Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    I would try a 23 or 24 Bravo1XS from Rothwell Marine. They will let you exchange for a different pitch or prop within 30 days if still in as new condition. The Bravo1XS (2015 model or newer) prop does better on the Nitro Z21 hull than the Fury 4 according to people that have tried both. Talk to Rothwell on the phone before ordering because you might actually need the Bravo 1FS. I watched you test the Fury 4 blades on YouTube. I run a 25 Bravo1XS on my 2018 Z21 2 stroke.
    What I have read and have done is to go up 2 pitch sizes when switching from a Fury to Bravo 1XS. From the 23p 3 blade Fury that came on your new 4 stroke Z21, try a 25p Bravo 1Xs. You may loose a mile or two at WOT, but the hole shot, ride, ease of steering and boat lift with a 4 blade is way worth it. I have bought from Rothwell. They are a good company.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

10. Member
    You have to consider elevation above sea level. What rpm are you running with each prop you have listed with a load and with high heat and humidity?
    Update:
    Watched a guy try a 24 Fury 4 blade and it was too much prop for the new V8 motor. It does run great with the 23 Fury 3 blade that came on it.
    Last edited by zeke4351; 10-07-2018 at 08:26 PM.