Thread: Oneida Trip

Banned

Oneida Trip

Heading up next week for 6 days and just wanted to see how the fishing has been with all the rain and now the record heat. I seen where they closed the beach down in Sylvan because of a algae bloom. Were staying in the Brewerton/ West end area.
    Thanks Rod.

2. Member
    It's good as always. The beach is closed on the very east end

3. Banned
    That's what I figured but getting a little excited

4. Member
    How did you make out Rod, heading there next week to get away from work for a few days. How was the water temp, hopefully a lot better than the 86deg here in the Philly area

5. Banned
    We were there from the 12th-18th and it was hot! water temp was 82. Fishing was okay but the worst August trip I've ever had there. We caught some largemouth in the 4.5 range and some decent smallmouth but they had lock jaw for some reason. Strong winds out of the East didn't help along with bad T storms cut into our time on the water.

I'll add if the smallmouth don't cooperate the largemouth are all over in very very shallow water, pads are a plus, you can't fish too shallow. The river didn't produce this trip and it usually does, we went in twice and I only caught one 16" largemouth normally it's good for at least 10 fish or more within a couple of hours.
    Last edited by pa.X19; 08-29-2018 at 01:27 PM.

6. Scraps
    I remember years a go, a little later like Oct, having a banner day at the entrance to the canal on the east end under similar conditions. Windy. Problem was getting back to the west end of the lake. Scary.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    The wind is blowing today 10-15 south .. south west .. going to be fun..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

8. Member
    Is there a speed limit on the Oneida River or just "no wake"

9. Banned
    6mph starts at the 81 bridge but I'm not sure how far down the river it goes for. I've never been past where it splits.

10. Member
    No wake in front of houses or docks but if there aren’t any around there is no speed limit. This spring there was a bass fisherman who was out there puffing and beating his chest trying to act as the water police by berating everyone who was going faster than what he thought was acceptable. Watched numerous guys get into it with this bum when they were going idle speed but because his boat moved he chased them motored over to them and ripped into them.

he came over to us and started venting about people speeding because he was scared the DEC would make the whole river no wake. But right after he took off and would go as fast as he wanted wherever he wanted. Apparently river rules don’t apply to self appointed econs.

All in all, if you’re near a dock or dwelling just slow down to 5mph then let her drink when you get by those areas.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member
    Yah the police like to travel that area too.. about 1.5 mile down there is a lock .. .. there is a right hand bent that goes about the same to a damn .. but really shallow... with rocks..

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    No wake in front of houses or docks but if there aren’t any around there is no speed limit. This spring there was a bass fisherman who was out there puffing and beating his chest trying to act as the water police by berating everyone who was going faster than what he thought was acceptable. Watched numerous guys get into it with this bum when they were going idle speed but because his boat moved he chased them motored over to them and ripped into them.

he came over to us and started venting about people speeding because he was scared the DEC would make the whole river no wake. But right after he took off and would go as fast as he wanted wherever he wanted. Apparently river rules don’t apply to self appointed econs.

All in all, if you’re near a dock or dwelling just slow down to 5mph then let her drink when you get by those areas.
    Thanks for the info

Is it worth running down the river after the split farther fishing wise If the lake is blown up?

13. Member
    It’ll prob get better towards late September but the river holds some good fish. I’ve only fished it in spring and fall, if it’s an east wind you could tuck back into the river and canal but you’ll probably fish the whole thing within a few hours
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

14. Member
    There’s not much to the river unless you go right to caughdennoy damn . There are some docks . But that parent of the river is shallow... you’ll be in 14ft +- .. then all of a sudden you’ll be sitting on rock.. careful .. it happens fast ..

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

15. Member

Water is only 1-2 ft
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post

Water is only 1-2 ft
    Good to know
    If it gets blown up with a East wind camp and drink beer.

17. Banned

18. Member
    Yah . Let me know .. we can tell fishing stories...

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS