Thread: Foil Feedback

Foil Feedback

I’ve got 2 questions for those of you who have installed a foil on your motor.

1. Do they collect grass and/or cause a problem when running in and around hydrilla?
    2. Does it affect performance in rough conditions when you might want the bow a little higher?

Thanks

I have the Chris Bailey stainless steel foil, and for your 1st question, when on plane the foil is completely out of the water, and when trolling, I always trim the motor up so I don't bump stumps with it. In neither of those conditions would it pick up grass. For question 2, I actually run my boat on the Mississippi river some and barge traffic can make for some pretty rough conditions out there. I have found the foil actually makes you feel much more hooked up in these conditions, and you can still run the bow high enough to plow through big waves. You can also go slower with the foil and stay on plane. Slower is safer in rough water, so I would recommend the Chis Bailey foil for that if nothing else (but it also helps hole shot, improves visibility when taking off, handles better in turns, provides motor protection if you sling a blade, and just looks very good).
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    I have the Chris Bailey stainless steel foil, and for your 1st question, when on plane the foil is completely out of the water, and when trolling, I always trim the motor up so I don't bump stumps with it. In neither of those conditions would it pick up grass. For question 2, I actually run my boat on the Mississippi river some and barge traffic can make for some pretty rough conditions out there. I have found the foil actually makes you feel much more hooked up in these conditions, and you can still run the bow high enough to plow through big waves. You can also go slower with the foil and stay on plane. Slower is safer in rough water, so I would recommend the Chis Bailey foil for that if nothing else (but it also helps hole shot, improves visibility when taking off, handles better in turns, provides motor protection if you sling a blade, and just looks very good).
    Same results with mine. I run Erie a lot and it allows me to go much slower and stay on plane.

4. Member
    I can’t help with #1 but #2 is a yes. I have had the same results as mentioned above. Money well spent.

5. Member
    +1 on all positive feedback above. Best decision I made

6. Member
    Same here, I have one of Chris Bailey's fouls......it is unbelievable!

7. Member
    In some conditions yes to #1. It will catch some grass if running through patches. Otherwise all good and I love having the foil on there
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

8. Member
    I run Toledo Bend and it allows me to go much slower and stay on plane in rough conditions.