Banned

Masterbuilt MES 130b for $113!!

At walmart! I actually payed 109 for it in store. I know its not the biggest or best....but if anyones like me and on the fence about smoking and a total noob....thats a killer price. I figure itll give me a good idea for smoking to see if i wanna start playing with the big boys and getting a bigger smoker, or a GMG pellet smoker eventually.

Gonna smoke my first chicken tomorrow....figure thatll keep costs low if I massacre the cook job! Id hate to waste a brisket lol

Any tips for a noob?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post
    At walmart! I actually payed 109 for it in store. I know its not the biggest or best....but if anyones like me and on the fence about smoking and a total noob....thats a killer price. I figure itll give me a good idea for smoking to see if i wanna start playing with the big boys and getting a bigger smoker, or a GMG pellet smoker eventually.

Gonna smoke my first chicken tomorrow....figure thatll keep costs low if I massacre the cook job! Id hate to waste a brisket lol

Any tips for a noob?
    I love my masterbuilt. If you are just cooking for a family you will be fine.

Biggest tip I can give is get a remote temp probe. I use the I-Grill mini. Links to my phone and I can set inside and monitor the temp. Eliminates overcooking.

I have baby backs, potatoes, and corn in my MES right now.

Get a remote thermometer. For chicken, go easy on the smoke.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I love my masterbuilt. If you are just cooking for a family you will be fine.

Biggest tip I can give is get a remote temp probe. I use the I-Grill mini. Links to my phone and I can set inside and monitor the temp. Eliminates overcooking.
    Definitely! going to bed bath and beyond tomorrow to pick one up before I try my first bird! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I have baby backs, potatoes, and corn in my MES right now.

Get a remote thermometer. For chicken, go easy on the smoke.
    When people say "go easy on the smoke" and things like that in regards to using the chips....what does that mean? Ive read that a few places that recommend going "light" at first and increasing with each time you cook until you find your sweetspot. Does that mean instead of putting the 1/2 of chips the manual says....i put a 1/2? Does it mean I dont refill the wood chips after they stop smoking from the first 1/2 cup? Or how do you dial it in and go light on the smoke flavor?

Use a wood like apple or cherry. Hickory and mesquite are stronger. Only fill the chip tray once, maybe twice. The first time I did chicken I kept that smoke going the whole time. Not real good.

6. Banned
    Use a wood like apple or cherry. Hickory and mesquite are stronger. Only fill the chip tray once, maybe twice. The first time I did chicken I kept that smoke going the whole time. Not real good.
    So....ive already loaded 2 of the loaders worth of wood.....i guess ill just leave it now! LOL....cooking a chicken as we speak. I think itll be done in a couple hours.....skins already looking tasty from the vent holes! lol

Question....how much smoke is produced at 225? I actually loaded the second loader full because my smoke completely stopped about an hour in! Smokes super light right now at 225!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post
    So....ive already loaded 2 of the loaders worth of wood.....i guess ill just leave it now! LOL....cooking a chicken as we speak. I think itll be done in a couple hours.....skins already looking tasty from the vent holes! lol

Question....how much smoke is produced at 225? I actually loaded the second loader full because my smoke completely stopped about an hour in! Smokes super light right now at 225!

You would be surprised how far smoke can go. If that made any sense.

I would let it ride and see what you think. How I go about cooking stuff is to only smoke the meat up to a certain temp. Too much smoke and it will get a bitter taste. Chicken cant take as much smoke as say ribs or as much as brisket. Maybe when the smoke clears up almost all the way take a temp of the bird. Whatever that temp is note it and once finished see what you think. If you think it needs more smoke flavor you know to smoke it longer next time. If its too much back off.

Just because you can't see the smoke pouring out doesn't mean that it's not putting out the flavor. It's going along. Hang in there.

I should have added...When you carve up the bird, save the carcass and boil it down. Makes a great broth with a smoky flavor for soups. I have some bones in a pot now. When it's cooled, I'll pour it into a vacuum bag, seal, and freeze it to use later.

10. Banned

Been using only Apple wood...and I love it! Been progressively adding more. This bird has 3 loads full of wood chips! I love that smoke taste!

11. Banned
    I should have added...When you carve up the bird, save the carcass and boil it down. Makes a great broth with a smoky flavor for soups. I have some bones in a pot now. When it's cooled, I'll pour it into a vacuum bag, seal, and freeze it to use later.
    will do! thanks!