Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Trimmed up yes but not at midrange speeds. I can cruise at 30-33 with the motor right at level w the boat (just past half way on my trim gauge) and that’s when the boat feels like it’s getting the best cruise and speed..that’s at about 3800rpm.

When I go wot and try to trim it up is when the porpoising happens. I can keep it under control no problem by just cruising between 28-33 but when I open it up and get around 5000-5200 it just tries to lift and can’t. I can’t see my cavitation plate at that 30mph cruise speed which is why I believe the motor is too low and am raising it up.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Why are you trying to trim up when you go to WOT? What is your speed when you go WOT if you don't change your trim? Seems that you might need tabs but I'd start with raising your motor.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Trimmed up yes but not at midrange speeds. I can cruise at 30-33 with the motor right at level w the boat (just past half way on my trim gauge) and that’s when the boat feels like it’s getting the best cruise and speed..that’s at about 3800rpm.
    Here is your answer. That is your rigs SWEET spot. Work on motor height to the cav plate out of the water. Then what RPMs you have, that’s where you start with the prop to fix them.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

4. Member
    I could never trim past motor level without porpoise. My best cruise was 5000rpm@46.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

5. Member
    Every quality flats boat comes with tabs.

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Tabs keep the bow down on take off which with flats boats is a must so the stern doesn’t drop and dig into the shallows. My flats boat I opted for the hydraulic jack plate and I could raise it up all the way and get the boat on plane very quickly with minimal bow rise. For offshore boats it helps them to even out their heavy boats with 500 gallons of fuel, many people and fighting waves and current.

On a properly set up bass boat boat I just can’t see the need for tabs other than I’m too lazy to track the root cause down.

How many pros pros do you see with trim tabs on their boats? And even at the local level (since my boat is certainly not a tournament rig) I rarely see people with tabs.

I know lund or Lowe did put those tiny little tabs on their hulls on their mod v boats until they got the issue fixed but I’ve read a lot of threads where people ground them off once they got their engine height and prop set up correctly.

Im 90% sure the first owner cruised in the boats sweet spot as it was called around 28-32mph and never asked for more.

My last bass bass boat was a glass rig so I am used to trimming up at wot and having a 50’ rooster tail...ain’t gonna happen with my new baby but I can get her to her potential!

Thanks everyone.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12