Thread: Patoka weeds

Patoka weeds

Got on the lake early today and actually found an area that had weeds growing! I hadn’t got a bite until I pulled into this spot and ended up catching two pretty quick! It wasn’t anything major but for about a 100 yard stretch I brought in weeds on my rig every cast plus I could feel them as I worked my bait......it’s a start! On the down side I found 4 good bass floating this morning 4-5lb fish, not sure if it was from a night tournament or what but it’s a shame for sure.

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Good to know at least some weeds are starting to grow. They've kept the lake level fairly constant this year, so maybe that's helping. Who knows though. Wonder what was up with those dead fish?
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

3. Member
    Robert probably the same weedpatch I found it about a month ago and the weeds were two inches high I checked it yesterday and they were close to a foot in length

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001champ View Post
    Robert probably the same weedpatch I found it about a month ago and the weeds were two inches high I checked it yesterday and they were close to a foot in length
    I actually found weeds in this area a couple years ago but it’s been hit and miss in regards to getting good growth. Various issues have kept me off the water this year but lately I’ve been able to fish so I checked it out, hopefully it continues!

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    Got on the lake early today and actually found an area that had weeds growing! I hadn’t got a bite until I pulled into this spot and ended up catching two pretty quick! It wasn’t anything major but for about a 100 yard stretch I brought in weeds on my rig every cast plus I could feel them as I worked my bait......it’s a start! On the down side I found 4 good bass floating this morning 4-5lb fish, not sure if it was from a night tournament or what but it’s a shame for sure.
    Great news!! Sounds like a money spot! Those dead fish are likely from that USA Bassin tournament. We’re kind of own worst enemy on that like. Man last couple years seeing more and more dead ones. The fish seem to be moving deeper and deeper every year on that lake, and man they’re tough to keep alive. Wish more tournaments would go to a 3 Fish limit in the hot summer.

Side note my brother won that USA Bassin up there yesteday with 19 and change. They still biting a little. Lol

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Great news!! Sounds like a money spot! Those dead fish are likely from that USA Bassin tournament. We’re kind of own worst enemy on that like. Man last couple years seeing more and more dead ones. The fish seem to be moving deeper and deeper every year on that lake, and man they’re tough to keep alive. Wish more tournaments would go to a 3 Fish limit in the hot summer.

Side note my brother won that USA Bassin up there yesteday with 19 and change. They still biting a little. Lol
    I agree with the 3 fish summer time limit for sure. The odd thing about the fish I saw were their locations, two of them were at the speed buoys coming out of the Newton Stewart ramp, I was sure those fish came from a tournament but the other two I saw both of which were pushing 5lbs were over by the Osborne ramp, I didn't think any tournaments put out of that ramp.

Glad you guys are seeing a little grass down there now, hope it spreads. On a side note, I HATE 3 fish limits in tourneys.

Hell if it was a one fish limit, I'd be 1 short of a limit every time. lol

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Glad you guys are seeing a little grass down there now, hope it spreads. On a side note, I HATE 3 fish limits in tourneys.
    Why is that??

Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Hell if it was a one fish limit, I'd be 1 short of a limit every time. lol
    Me too

11. Member
    I would like a one fish limit.
    Maybe I could actually get a limit.

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Why is that??
    Because I've been beat too many times by guys with 2 fish that said it was the only 2 bites they had all day. They'll have 1 small keeper and a single 4-6 lb kicker they hit on the head. Meanwhile I've actually caught 5 or more keepers but tossing back the smallest just to keep 3 and get beat by the guy with 2. Just happened to Rodney and I Thursday night in the USA bassin on Monroe. Happened more times than I care to count over the last 20 years. If we could have kept our 5 instead of just 3 we won easily. Quality vs quantity? Reward the guys that only had 2 bites the whole tournament? I know, I know, I need to find better quality fish instead of just keepers. To that I say, it's Indiana, not TN, AL or FL, it's not like you can target big fish only. I've heard all the reasons for doing it over the years and debated them but since I don't run the tourneys and don't make the rules I just play by them and go on. But I still hate it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    I agree with the 3 fish summer time limit for sure. The odd thing about the fish I saw were their locations, two of them were at the speed buoys coming out of the Newton Stewart ramp, I was sure those fish came from a tournament but the other two I saw both of which were pushing 5lbs were over by the Osborne ramp, I didn't think any tournaments put out of that ramp.
    I’ve seen small club tournaments put in at Osborne before (to stay out of the way for the larger tournaments).
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

15. Member
    Fished a small club tournament yesterday and we pretty much encountered weeds growing in every spot we fished, not sure if they will take off but hopefully it’s a start.