Lew's Crankbait rods... Opinions? Problems?

I'm considering this model LDFP70M … I have never bought or used any Lew's rods before. I like full cork handles and the price is cheap... I'm going to have a custom rod built if I hear bad things. But the blank cost as much as this whole rod.

https://www.lews.com/rods/frittsperfect

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

This is the rod kit that I'm considering.... Just to compare... http://www.mudhole.com/MHX-Crankbait...it_guide_set=1

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I've got one that I got at Academy on sale for around 60 bucks. Seems like a good rod. A little heavy but I have not had any problems with mine. Lews makes pretty good stuff.

Fritts used to use quite slow action glass rods. I'd be curious if these composites are mostly glass with a graphite butt section. If they don't weigh a ton, they're a pretty interesting looking rod.
    I have a custom MHX on the CB905 blank and although it's very light, the action is all wrong. It's similar to the old Loomis CBR stuff which can't hold a candle to a glass rod for treble hooked baits.
    The MHX CB905 does make a decent long distance topwater rod or I use mine a lot for small open hook swimbaits. Mudhole does make a line of S-Glass blanks that felt good in hand but I haven't fished a finished rod built with them.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I'm considering this model LDFP70M … I have never bought or used any Lew's rods before. I like full cork handles and the price is cheap... I'm going to have a custom rod built if I hear bad things. But the blank cost as much as this whole rod.

https://www.lews.com/rods/frittsperfect

I once thought about that rod a few years back, then I handled it at Academy and wasn't too impressed. I passed on it. If you want glass or composite, there are good options out there.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

6. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Klinger N Ok View Post
    Fritts used to use quite slow action glass rods. I'd be curious if these composites are mostly glass with a graphite butt section. If they don't weigh a ton, they're a pretty interesting looking rod.
    I have a custom MHX on the CB905 blank and although it's very light, the action is all wrong. It's similar to the old Loomis CBR stuff which can't hold a candle to a glass rod for treble hooked baits.
    The MHX CB905 does make a decent long distance topwater rod or I use mine a lot for small open hook swimbaits. Mudhole does make a line of S-Glass blanks that felt good in hand but I haven't fished a finished rod built with them.
    These rods are not like the old Fritts "whippy" rods and are way better than those glass rods. They have a better, moderate taper. IMHO they are a great value for the money. Really nice cranking and launching rods.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Banned
    Love my Wart Special!

Anyone have any weights on these rods?

9. Scraps
    I've handled them and they're not obscenely heavy. Don't complicate this.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    I just sold 3 of them, not because I didn't like them, just because I like cranking the ALX Hustler more. I really liked the 7'M and 7'MH, both rods are light and perfect actions. The M is a great flat sided to small square bill rod, while the MH handled bigger square bills on up to cranks in 15' range. I think they're a really good buy. I did not like how tip heavy the the 7'11" MH felt. I actually never took the tag off of it

Quote Originally Posted by Klinger N Ok View Post
    Anyone have any weights on these rods?
    They arent bad. It really comes down to how much you crank and how much you want to pay. I bought mine for deep cranking. I dont do it very often so I didn't want to drop a large sum on a rod for it. If cranking is one of your go to techniques then spend a little more moolah. I think for the price you will like this rod.

12. Member
    I use the MH 7'6" with the full cork grip for anything over 10'. I like the rod just fine. Got it at a local tackle shop for ~$55. I typically use straight braid and it becomes very sensitive. I can feel everything the crankbait encounters and the action keeps the fish pinned. The rod has a large diameter butt section and feels a little heavy when you first start using but the feeling goes away after a few cast. No regrets on the purchase.

13. Member
    I have the previous year's big all green model in the 7'6" MH with the standard trigger. Found a great deal at a retail store website (forgot who) last year, and actually ordered through bass pro because they had the same rod listed on their site more expensive, but they price matched. The rod, however, came directly from Lew's. First impression was it was a pool cue of a rod with a beefy full cork handle. Then I noticed the blank was crooked...curved to the right towards the top as you look down the blank from the handle. Guess the blank was badly rolled and I was surprised it got by Lew's QC. Thought about sending it back for an exchange, but didn't think it be worth the shipping cost. Trying it out, I felt it was a too much rod for my taste. Handled cranks and fish ok, but it just didn't feel right to me. Now I use a Fenwick Elite Tech Bass 7'2 MH crank rod and this is actually the "perfect" cranking rod for me.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!