Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Nope, just plain fact, no 'weird' science. As much as I enjoy grits, I limit the intake.
    Let's face it, corn is a highly fattening substance with little true nutritive value.
    Think about it - we fatten hogs and cattle with it. Why? Because it's very effective.
    It's used to add weight and produce marbling (fat). It doesn't serve another purpose.
    If you feed cattle on it long enough, they will actually become sick and die.
    Do it to people (directly via cereal, etc. or indirect via fattened meats) we will too.
    Corn not only provides the necessary calories for healthy, daily metabolism but is also a rich source of vitamin A, B, E and many minerals. Its high fiber content ensures that it plays a significant role in the prevention of digestive ailments like constipation, hemorrhoids, and colorectal cancer. The antioxidants present in it also act as anti-carcinogenic agents and prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
    Health Benefits of Corn

Corn provides many health benefits due to the presence of quality nutrients within. Besides being a delicious addition to any meal, it is rich in phytochemicals and provides protection against a number of chronic diseases. The well-researched and widespread health benefits of corn are listed below.
    Prevents Hemorrhoids

The fiber content of one cup of corn amounts to 18.4% of the daily recommended amount. This aids in alleviating digestive problems such as constipation and hemorrhoids, as well as lowering the risk of colon cancer due to corn being a whole-grain.

Fiber has long been promoted as a way to reduce colon risk, but insufficient and conflicting data exist for fiber’s relationship with preventing cancer, although whole-grain consumption has been proven to reduce that risk. Fiber helps bulk up bowel movements, which stimulates peristaltic motion and the production of gastric juice and bile. It can also add bulk to overly loose stools, which can reduce the chances of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and diarrhea.
    Promotes Growth

Corn is rich in vitamin B constituents, especially thiamin and niacin. Thiamin is essential for maintaining nerve health and cognitive function. Niacin deficiency leads to pellagra; a disease characterized by diarrhea, dementia, and dermatitis that is commonly observed in malnourished individuals. Corn is also a good source of pantothenic acid, which is an essential vitamin for carbohydrate, protein, and lipid metabolism in the body.

Deficiency of folic acid in pregnant women can lead to the birth of underweight infants and may also result in neural tube defects in newborns. Corn provides a large percentage of the daily folate requirement, thus preventing this condition. The kernels of corn are rich in vitamin E, a natural antioxidant that is essential for growth and protection of the body from illness and diseases.

Overuse of ANYTHING is bad for you. I knew what you posted sounded strange until I remembered why. My wife is Preggos and he Dr. actually recommended she eat more corn if she liked it.

2. Member
    Now go and Google corn and it's bad attributes. We can easily find both sides of any issue.
    However, you'll be hard pressed to disagree with what it does to both hogs and cattle.
    And if you'll talk to any cattle farmer, you can confirm the results of an extended diet too.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Now go and Google corn and it's bad attributes. We can easily find both sides of any issue.
    Soooo...it's a wash. I'll eat more corn.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by warcry View Post
    Soooo...it's a wash. I'll eat more corn.
    Wouldn't say it's a wash ... but I do enjoy shrimp and grits.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Maybe it would be more accurate to say that ethanol production creates an artificial demand for corn which diverts more tillable land into corn production. Let the price of corn decrease to market levels and perhaps that land would be growing other crops so that half of our produce wouldn't have a "Product of Mexico" on it.

And about that fuel price spike: I'm pretty sure that numerous studies have shown that equation to be a break even proposition at best and possibly upside down. The amount of petroleum products needed to grow corn, harvest it, process it, and transport the ethanol offsets the amount of petroleum it replaces. Of course, this was known from day one but why let facts get in the way of feel-good legislation? Sorry if the last part is political--I'm not blaming any particular party.
    Yep - I'd be happy if they remove the federal mandate that require X amount of ethanol to be blended with gasoline. Remove the mandate and if ethanol can still be produced profitably than that would be fine.

6. Banned
    you should never use a food source as a fuel source

7. Member
    You should investigate all the different tax implications of the Ethanol industry, from subsidies in the Farm Bill to many and varies tax breaks.

8. Member
    We are stuck with it,period!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12