Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1999 200 EFI 2.5

ser/OG939997

fine mess

Attached Images Attached Images

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

I hate it when that happens......

Found that in mine last weekend too. I feel your pain!

So, I'm told that the rod was still connected... and it looks like a parts failure - the parts being a bearing. Is this just something random that happens? I've always used premium plus oil and seldom run it over 4,500 - well, I do once in a while - but only for a minute.

"A parts failure" Why did it fail? Was it a substandard maybe aftermarket part? Did it fail because it was a weak link? Did it fail because of something else? "No sign of detonation" ... I guess that would be good. I have a high mechanical aptitude but know little to nothing about outboard motors. I can understand a good explanation but don't always know a good follow up question to ask - or if I'm being fed BS. What matters most is intimate technical knowledge and what moves what and why ... it is difficult to know what a technician does or does not know or if they care enough to be more precise than fast. We will see ....

With a Mercury/Quicksilver remanufactured powerhead what is the most critical consideration to rank next? Fuel rail?
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 08-14-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

5. Member
    a lot of times cause from detonation = poor fuel , high cyl temps ,lube issues ,etc
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

just had a new water pump put on with lower unit service.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

7. Member
    , have your fuel system thoroughly cleaned and inj flow tested by professional service with result of test on #5 injector
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    ohh that was a plastic caged rod bearing wasn't it ??????

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Was gonna say,wore out plastic cage, rule #1 of mercury factory assembled used motor upgrades, replace those when their good, if ya' gonna' run her long time

yes it was...

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

11. Member
    when I first saw those in merc class years ago I didn't like um and I still don't like um at the time they replied bearing stayed cooler anyway your bearing failure was most likely not your fault, good luck with repairs JOE

when I first saw those in merc class years ago I didn't like um and I still don't like um at the time they replied bearing stayed cooler anyway your bearing failure was most likely not your fault, good luck with repairs JOE
    Thanks Joe ... I should have it back by the end of this week. We will be sure they change out the fuel line too. At least the grey one...

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

burned connections ... is this a telltale sign of a failing voltage regulator??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 08-14-2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: dup

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- and also a sign of some sort of connection or capacity problem at the battery, more than likely.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Yes- and also a sign of some sort of connection or capacity problem at the battery, more than likely.
    I have an Everstart Maxx 27 in the Cranking hole. It is new this year. Is that too much? I often leave the charger connected for long periods.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Is that a DEEP cycle battery?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Is that a DEEP cycle battery?
    it is...

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

18. Member
    Wet cell STARTING batteries only is what Mercury recommends. No Deep cycle, AGM, or Dual Purpose batteries.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Wet cell STARTING batteries only is what Mercury recommends. No Deep cycle, AGM, or Dual Purpose batteries.
    ^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast