Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Thanks Booter. I hope so.

2. Member
    Wow, just read the thread from start to finish. I actually went to this page after seeing Brandon Cards Basscat/Suzuki for sale. Your issues do not instill confidence. Like you have stated many times throughout the thread, all motors have issues. I understand that and have blown Mercs and Yamis. But to me, its all about customer service. This story is telling. Good luck, hope it runs for many years.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterSteve View Post
    Wow, just read the thread from start to finish. I actually went to this page after seeing Brandon Cards Basscat/Suzuki for sale. Your issues do not instill confidence. Like you have stated many times throughout the thread, all motors have issues. I understand that and have blown Mercs and Yamis. But to me, its all about customer service. This story is telling. Good luck, hope it runs for many years.
    This episode doesn't exactly speak glowing volumes about Suzuki customer service. With the motor under warranty, you lost three months of time, which nobody rich or poor can replace, get back, or save. $100 gift certificate? A dollar a day?
    The way I see it, Suzuki had a golden opportunity to solidify good customer relationships. Did they extend your warranty?
    I sincerely echo SkeeterSteve in saying I hope it runs quietly and reliably for many years.

4. Member
    No they did not extend the warranty. Nor did I ask. I was curious to see if anyone higher up in Suzuki outboards would take the time to call me as a customer and, if nothing else, let me be heard. Instead they just switched my case manager to a different office. No offense meant to that individual at all, but a case manager is not an overall big decision maker in the company. If the $100 gift certificate was meant to be some type of restitution for the many months of aggravation and lost time over the engine, that is an extreme insult. And I did tell the case manager that. I could see it as a decent gesture for the issues that I had immediately afterward with the C-10 gauge independently. That alone required 2 additional round trips to the dealer. Accounting for time and gas that in itself was over $100 in unnecessary aggravation. But to offer it as a token of appreciation for my patience for the engine issues is certainly an insult. Don't think I'm not aware of that. It was tempting to tell them to just keep the gift certificate. But I didn't. We'll see if they even mail it.

5. Member
    HaHaHa. Last month I ordered a remote boat drain valve and paid for expedited delivery. When it didn't show up I got curious and Monday I got an E-mail saying it was backordered and would be a while. The E-mail said I was going to get a $15.00 gift certificate for my inconvenience. I told them to keep the $15, and take off the expedited shipping charge. After all you probably can only spend the "gift" at their place.
    Those tokens don't salve the insults I agree.

6. Member
    The certificate arrived.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    The certificate arrived.
    Party time....

8. Member
    Took the boat out last weekend. It appeared to run fine. Cold air and cold water in my area.

9. Member
    Wow what a story I was looking at ordering one of the 115's on a Vexus boat. I don't think after reading your ordeal with their customer service that will be happening.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basser100 View Post
    Wow what a story I was looking at ordering one of the 115's on a Vexus boat. I don't think after reading your ordeal with their customer service that will be happening.
    I'm worried about what may happen this summer when environmental conditions change. I have to admit that it ran perfectly normal all weekend.

11. Member
    If you have any more issues with the C-10 please dont hesitate to PM me. I dont come on here very often but have a decent expertise in Suzuki networks and have helped lots of people solve issues. I am in Australia so bear in mind the time zone difference.

I am almost certain that the C-10 issue after your repairs was really simple - they plugged the main engine harness in the engine bay into the analoge engine data plug from the ecu. They SHOULD have plugged it into the SDS port which sends digital data up to the dash via the harness, where it then connects to a NmEA2000 network and allows the C-10 to get engine data. Rookie mistake, but easily done. A 30 second job to swap plugs over. Quality control should have picked it up nefore it was given back to you.

In the meantime, if the C-10 loses one or two bits of engine data, or, if you add any new devices to the network or take any off or change them, it is REALLY useful to do a auto-select for network data sources. Turn engine key on to where it beeps, turn all other devices on the network on. Then in the C-10 press menu/system/network/device list then select the option to auto-select data sources. It will pop up a message asking if your REALLY want to do it, yes you do!

This resets the network data sources to the most logical settings and fixes many “missing data” issues. A good tool to keep in your memory banks!

One other comment - I know of a similar Suzuki issue that you had with overheating here in northern Australia a few years ago on a 250. (Very hot there frequently over 40C).

Eventually they traced it to a very slight warp in the stainless water pump housing that didnt allow the impeller to seal properly and caused overheating at high or sustained revs. The lesson is to always install a full water pump kit, including the housing, not just to change the impeller, when you do a water pump service.

Finally for what its worth, I dont buy the story you were told about the engine being run while overheating and operator not hearing the alarm. An overheated engine will always activate the safety system and slow the engine to lower revs. The Suzukis have 2 kinds overheat alarm/warnings - one is an absolute alarm when engine hits a preset temp. The other is a temp gradient alarm which is triggered if the engine temp rises too quickly, but doesnt yet reach the overheat alarm temp.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-30-2019 at 06:03 PM.

12. Banned
    Moonlighter, you need to hang here more often. Thanks

13. Member
    Thanks for the extension of assistance. I may take you up on that email someday.
    I just use the Nema Network in order for my C10 gauge to give me engine data. I don't believe I have anything else hooked up to it besides a Lowrance puck that I believe came installed with the C10 gauge. It shows GPS speed and I'm sure other information but I have that available on my Humminbird graphs on a much bigger screen. Regarding the mistake on the plug issue, once I returned the boat a visiting Suzuki rep found it really quick and they called me next day to come lick it up. But it was nothing I could find once I got home but it sounds like you probably read all of that. The overheating issue possibly being related to a water pump housing is very interesting. I suppose I should find out if they just change the impeller or the whole deal because they did replace the impeller at the very beginning of my boats disastrous visit. There were really no issues in regards to getting that done at the time. He said the impeller looked to have some mild damage and given the hours it made sense to change it and I agreed.
    Regarding the alarm, I'm with you. I believe there could have been some inconsistencies somehow but not where the previous owner was able to run WOT and not hear an alarm. But I'm certain you already read that and I won't elaborate. Interesting how there are two types of alarm regarding overheating which makes perfect sense.

Obviously Suzuki and their customer service I attempted to speak to couldn't have cared less about me paying a premium for their product while losing an entire Fall season of use, but maybe Suzuki engineers in this country could investigate the possibility of the impeller housing setting off overheating in rare instances you referenced. That is if they haven't already.

Again thanks for reaching out. You are of great value to our Suzuki forum!!!
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 02-10-2019 at 01:05 PM.

14. Member
    All good! Happy to help if I can.

The reason you have the GPS puck antenna on your Suzuki network is to provide speed data to the C-10. It uses that speed data plus fuel flow data from the engine to calculate real time mpg.

Not 100% sure but I think it may also allow C-10 to show distance to empty. If you had a Simrad MFD also on the network, you would get a heap of useful info on your trip history from their TripIntel app.

15. Member
    Ran my boat all day Thursday and Friday with a friend and fished a tournament with a co-angler Saturday. Engine appeared to run fine all day every day. 46-49 water temperature. I made some runs as long as 10 miles. I rarely ever fully open it up and run full speed but got over 60 a few times. It rained hard most of the time so that was plenty. Just giving an update.

16. Member
    Ran my boat all day Thursday and Friday with a friend and fished a tournament with a co-angler Saturday. Engine appeared to run fine all day every day. 46-49 water temperature. I made some runs as long as 10 miles. I rarely ever fully open it up and run full speed but got over 60 a few times. It rained hard most of the time so that was plenty. Just giving an update.
    Good to hear that everything is running okay Kevin. I wouldn't be afraid to open it up once the weather warms up.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

17. Member
    Read this whole thread would it just not p-ss you off if the whole problem would of just been the water pump plate warping to start with. I know about water pumps my Opti is very temperamental about it`s water pump if I do not change it regularly. .

I sure hope everything will work out for you now you are a cooler head then me after 1 month I would of been ballistic.

18. Member
    Trolling back to the ramp. Engine started running rough while idling and then just shut down engine code 3 - 1 + 3 - 2. Here we go again.

Trolling back to the ramp. Engine started running rough while idling and then just shut down engine code 3 - 1 + 3 - 2. Here we go again.
    Kevin,

I think it is high time for you to DEMAND either a new engine or for Suzuki to make your engine a TOP PRIORITY. If I were in your situation, I would be calling them everyday until I got what was deserved. Your engine is still under warranty and they need to honor it.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X