Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    You're having a bit of a tough time with that motor alright. Sounds like they're doing everything they can for your motor, and are taking an academic interest in what the problem is, unfortunately for you, they're doing it on your time. Hope the reassembly cures the problem, or if not they just immediately replace the motor. They should really have dome that already and be doing the research on their time, but I guess we're all kind of invested in the story now. Fingers crossed for you. If it does all work well, you will have a completely blueprinted motor, which may be better than factory!

2. Member
    250ss Update: I called for an update yesterday (11/7). The dealer/mechanic that is putting my engine back together said they were waiting for crucial gasket that had not been ordered. It arrived Tuesday evening. The process of reassembling has begun. He said the heads were back on. Cams are in. They are beginning to assemble the timing chains. When I made my personal appearance last week (see above post for refreshing your memory) I was shown where my stator coil had some corrosion on it. Now the Suzuki reps boss is ordering that that same one be placed back in since it is not believed to be the cause of this overheat. It seems to me that while it's disassembled it would make sense to go ahead and replace it. Is it common to see corrosion on a stator coil? And if so could that possibly have anything to do with this? I tend to think not but I'm not an expert.

The local Suzuki rep will be present when the engine is started for the first time to witness what happens. My mechanic is relieved to know this because, like he's told me numerous times, they haven't found anything wrong that's causing the overheat. He truly thinks it will do the same thing because of this. But until they get it back together to find out, the process can't move forward and I don't have a boat (been over 2 months already). And to be honest, I'd be relieved if it does overheat because my piece of mind is shot anyway. I'm being told that it's possible reassembly could be complete and ready for testing this weekend. And mid next week at the latest.

3. Banned
    Not sure you should be the test mule for a defective motor, in my view this time period is totally inappropriate, I would move this way up the ladder....sometimes Japanese companies can be very difficult in these situations....hope this gets resolved for you soon!

4. Member
    The stator coil is for your charging system and that shouldn't cause the motor to overheat unless it wasn't put out the correct voltage and it fried the ECU and caused everything else to go haywire, like your C10 display. I'm hoping that everything works out and Suzuki gives that rebuilt motor a thorough torture test along with a fresh 6 year warranty that includes priority service and an automatic new motor in the event this motor fails again.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    The stator coil is for your charging system and that shouldn't cause the motor to overheat unless it wasn't put out the correct voltage and it fried the ECU and caused everything else to go haywire, like your C10 display. I'm hoping that everything works out and Suzuki gives that rebuilt motor a thorough torture test along with a fresh 6 year warranty that includes priority service and an automatic new motor in the event this motor fails again.
    Thanks...My ECU did go out and was not working at all. Power is not getting to it and I haven't been able to trace why it isn't. I mentioned this issue in my initial typed up letter I handed them when I dropped the boat off. That's another thing on the list I wanted them to fix along with the down trim switch on the shifter that suddenly stopped working. I've been being told all of that will be addressed AFTER the more pressing engine issue. I've been assured 10 times over that my c-10 and/or electrical issues cannot be the reason for this alarm because their diagnostics are clearly showing overheating (and thus going into limp mode) while testing in the tank.

6. Member
    My thoughts lately.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    I feel for ya man. Obviously it sucks. Just hope they make it right

8. Member
    Still haven't heard anything. I'm tempted to call but forcing myself to wait until Wednesday since I was told last week it would be mid next week at the latest. This Thursday would be 3 months my boat has been there. I'm actually embarrassed to say that. But it's the truth.

9. Member
    Honestly Kevin you’re more patient than I would be. I think it’s bullshit that you’ve been without your boat for 3 months on a motor that is under warranty. That’s just not acceptable

10. Member
    Update: Got a call from mechanic this morning. Engine was put back together but would not run appropriately. Cranks fine but cannot get to go. Power head must be pulled back off and timing chains readjusted. From listening to the mechanic and using my limited mechanical knowledge, I would summarize by saying the engine fires but won't run. My mechanic does not believe it's going to work. They were not able to get it to the point to see if it was going to overheat or not. They hope to have it apart, adjusted, and back together by Friday. Then they need to have the Suzuki rep present to observe starting and running. No way I'll have my boat back by Friday which, after all of this, I was believing would happen. Mechanic is still surprised Suzuki doesn't want to replace the stator coil. A friend and I had plans to visit Cumberland all weekend. He has a bass boat but I really thought I would have mine finally. We will be officially entering month 4 of this issue. There is no point in ranting about how furious I am. It won't speed up the process. It wouldn't be appropriate to discuss specific financial information to a group of people I don't know personally. But I'm making what most anyone would consider hefty monthly payments on this rig. It's feeling like making a house payment but not being allowed to stay at the house. Beyond ridiculous.

12. Banned
    You need to call the corporate office and do some real bitchin. Make it sound like your a Lawyer speaking on your be half.

13. Member
    Beyond ridiculous. They should step up and put a whole new outboard on your boat and do their troubleshooting on their time, not yours.

14. Member
    Update: The primary mechanic that has been working on my boat and that I talk to multiple times a week is now in the hospital and won't be back for long time. The other mechanic (and Suzuki Rep) was working on it Friday when I talked to him. I called him this morning and he said he was on the way to start working on it. For those of you that have been following this or may happen to know this man, please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. He has always spent lots of time with me on the phone explaining the situation and assuring me the motor is getting worked on. This entire situation has become entirely too lengthy and has angered me for quite some time now when I think about the lost time and opportunities to use my boat. It's embarrassing to update people in my fishing circle about this any more. Once you enter the 3 months range, people have started questioning if I'm doing enough and being tough enough on them. Now we're in month 4. But when you get news that someone is in serious condition in the hospital, you realize it's a first world problem. A very frustrating first world problem. I plan on heading to Cumberland Thanksgiving evening. Hopefully something can be done by then.

15. Banned
    You are in my Prayers. You are a very patient man. Good luck.

16. Member
    You might mention this site and that this whole thing is giving Suzuki a black eye to 120,000 people that visit it. If my name was Suzuki I would get you totally satisfied right now!! This smacks of mismanagement and incompetence at all levels.
    You might also show him this site.

17. Member
    You're right Billnorman1 and I've thought about that. I'm extremely angry at all of it at this point. Exhibiting patience and class just makes you viewed as soft these days. You guys aren't privy to all the phone conversations and texts I have with the dealer and Suzuki. I've been patient and understanding. Jeff Jones at least talked to me and kept me apprised during this process. My case should be a bright red flag in every Suzuki rep and exec's office computer at this point. If not for anything else, for the time it's taken alone.

I just spoke with the Suzuki rep involved and who eventually finished the reassembly process. He ran the boat on the trailer in the river yesterday. Too much debris for him to launch and run. But he said the engine had full power and was hooked to computer for observation.
    I asked why is exhaust no longer keeping water from flowing through starboard head (setting off the overheat alarm) when no parts where replaced? He said the tolerances had been altered due to the engine having been ran very hard in the past and being ran hard while overheated. He said the tolerances where now tightened up. He assured me the parts were not damaged but just had altered positions from what I stated above. He mentioned that the previous owner likely ran the boat very hard (which I understand to a certain extent) and maybe didn't hear an overheat alarm while running hard in tough conditions or ran through an alarm. He said it's usually noticeable because the engine will start losing cylinders This is where I get confused. Any time this engine alarm went off with me the engine SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY. It wouldn't have mattered if I was running hard into powerful winds and waves with a helmet on and earplugs in. The engine would STOP RUNNING and the boat would come off plane. So how is that possible?
    He said this was a very complicated issue and there were some inconsistencies in the computer readings in regards to how much time the engine was ran while being overheated in the past. He wasn't insinuating that I did anything wrong but telling me there are inconsistencies. The tolerances needing tightened up could explain why I had small windows of time when the boat ran fine (with no alarms) and then the next week alarms would shut me down constantly to the point where I needed towed in. I bet I haven't put 8 hours on the engine the entire year I've owned it. It's been utterly ridiculous.

I asked about the stator coil I mentioned previously. He told me he was instructed to place the same original coil back on. Hopefully that won't be and never was an issue.
    He assured me there were no codes or alarms disabled to fix this issue. He said the Suzuki monitoring system does not allow for blocking or turning off codes.
    I have some serious questions for Suzuki in regards to my engine at this point. While I'm eagerly anticipating picking up my boat Wednesday and running it, I have some concerns.
    The Suzuki rep/mechanic I spoke with today did what he needed to do. He takes orders from his superiors. I don't feel 100% satisfied regarding these "inconsistencies" and the time it took to resolve them. I saved money for years to purchase this product. And I have always planned on taking great care of it for many years to come if I ever have the opportunity.

I still do not have my C-10 or trim switch fixed. The Suzuki rep got the engine running to his satisfaction and left. I suppose that was his only job and the rest is the responsibility of the dealer. The dealer told me they will do everything possible to have the c-10 and trim switch ready by Wednesday. All of which was in my original write-up when I dropped the boat off over 3 months ago.

18. Member
    Kevin I hope this is resolved. Keep us posted

19. Member
    Update: I just got the call that the C10 gauge is fixed along with the trim switch. I also learned the boat was only ran while on the trailer due to too much river debris to safely run. So this weekend at the lake will be the first time it is tested under a load. I'm headed to pick her up this evening.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Update: I just got the call that the C10 gauge is fixed along with the trim switch. I also learned the boat was only ran while on the trailer due to too much river debris to safely run. So this weekend at the lake will be the first time it is tested under a load. I'm headed to pick her up this evening.
    I hope it all goes well Kevin and you have more patience than I ever would.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast