Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'17 or newer Pathfinder vs Grand Cherokee vs ?

Which one and why? Im aware of the CVT debate, so let's keep that out of it. Which is part of the reason i'm saying '17 or newer. I'm getting stuck on the pathfinder. Everytime I search for something that can tow 5000#, has less than 60,000 miles, for under $23,000 - it seems like the best buy.
    At the moment, i'm not interested in a lease. This next purchase is something I plan on keeping for many years.

4Runner and don't look back!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    Nice vehicle, one MAJOR problem, it only meets one of the above parameters.

Note sure I understand what the issue is.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    I'm looking to meet all three parameters.

There is a reason the 4runner has a higher resale value and it's been that way for a long time. Buy what you like but I think Toyota is ahead in reliability.
    I tow with an 06 Sequoia. Go to Edmunds auto and read 4Runner owner reviews and then do the same with Pathfinder owner reviews. Don't want to knock Pathfinders
    but they are not a 4Runner. JMO
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    I'm looking to meet all three parameters.
    Oh I'm sorry I made the suggestion I thought you were looking for a good reliable options. On my second runner and will be going back for another. It's really nice to just change oil and tires.

Enjoy what you want.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

8. Member
    I understand what your both saying about reliability.
    I'm having a problem with paying considerably more for a vehicle with more miles and that's older. After being at multiple dealers lately, i am finding that to be the trend though. Trying to get myself to realize the new standards of acceptable mileage, and vehicle age.
    I would love to have a sequoia or a 4 runner, no doubt.

Rick H - Why the sarcasm? I purposely posted in this sub-forum, as opposed to the lounge, to avoid this very thing.

9. Banned
    The market demands that you pay more for a 4-runner.
    The only decision is are you willing to pay the price? If you aren't, then you've already made your decision....... Pathfinder.
    If you have reliability concerns, and this is a long term purchase, then consider upping your price point and buy the Toyota.

10. Joe4d
    Could probably get a decent chevy 1500 or 2500 for that if you stay away from the optioned out trim packages.. I gave up on the jack of all trades vehicles. You end up with sub par towing and too much gas burning commuter.. Got a base HD 4X4 2500, and a beeter ford focus I have put 100k on and will keep driving till it dies then go fins something else.
    FAr as a SUV,,, tend to have to agree though,, neither Jeep nor Nissan are known for great reliability.

11. Member
    Joe4d - I did contemplate gettting an older truck or SUV to tow with, and an older car for work. I haven't ruled it out. The extra insurance and registration is something to factor in.
    The good news is, I'm driving my wife's old car, our daughters future car, until I find something. The bad news is, nothing to tow the boat with.

Novakaw650 - as for reliability concerns- good question. A local Nissan dealership offers a lifetime power train warranty, as long as the vehicle stays in our name. We are now on our second Versa, daughter is buying wife's old one. Luckily we haven't had to put it to the test.

Rick H - Why the sarcasm? I purposely posted in this sub-forum, as opposed to the lounge, to avoid this very thing.
    Sound like the horse water thing just the facts

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

13. Member
    IMG_20180805_102148937_HDR-700x700.jpg

Search is over! Boat hauler was under my nose the whole time!

14. Member
    Mods - please lock / delete. Thanks, Gary

15. Member
    OF those two I'd buy the GC just because of the CVT transmission in the Nissan. I sat on a HOA board with a Nissan service manager and he drove an Infinity because it had a regular transmission. Those CVT's just don't seem to hold up with towing. I've owned two bullet proof 4-Runners and towed all kinds of stuff with them including travel trailers that were at over over the weight capacity. Since you are not interested in spending the extra coin I'd buy the GC and hope for the best. Land Rover uses their 9 speed transmission in my wife's Discovery Sport. So far with 28K miles it's been good to go, BUT we've not towed anything with it. It has a 4500 pound towing rating.

We kept both our 4-Runners over 80K miles and never spent a dime on them except a battery, tires, and oil and lubes. The old V-8 one's (2009 AND OLDER) can still be found with about 100K miles for about 18K or less. Those. normally have the good AWD system and are good for 250-350K miles with a timing belt every 100K miles on the 4.7L engine. The only way to get the AWD system in a 2010 or newer is getting the Limited. We got more than 23K on trade after owning it for 8 years and 85K miles.

Mods - please lock / delete. Thanks, Gary
    Wow

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

17. Member
    Nope, just tired of dealing with immature, trolling individuals.

And once again WOW!

Your the one with your panties in a wad I was just trying to take your hand and lead you to a better choice. Yes you may have to bite the bullet and spend a little more but don't shoot the messenger.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

19. Member
    My wife has a 14 Grand Cherokee overland with the 5.9. It towed great.

20. Member
    Between the two of go for the Cherokee on the sole reason of the transmission. The 14-17 might have the pentastar 8speed transmission in the v6 models which is great for towing. If it was for everyday driving I’d say pathfinder, cherokees do not have a very good reputation for reliability and rust pretty easy if you like to keep them until they die. Check out carcomplaints.com and it will kind of give you an idea of how many reliable each one is then take them for a test (just be cautious because there’s a lot more cherokees on the road than pathfinders so the data is skewed.)

i was in in the same situation as you back in April and considering the pathfinder, explorer, grand Cherokee and Durango. My boat is only a 17.5’ and weighs about 2500 on the trailer so capacity wasn’t an issue. We ended up going with a 2014 Dodge Durango awd, 44,000 miles for only 22K with an aftermarket warranty that lasts the length of the loan. Same mechanics as a grand Cherokee, longer frame, more towing capacity (6200lbs), and cheaper. The grand Cherokee has a shorter wheelbase, can tow 5,000, more expensive but has a lot more luxury interior features and classy look
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast