2007 300XS problem

2007 300XS
    1E002707

I’m having trouble starting after fishing for more than an hour. Takes about 3 times cranking the motor before it gets fuel. Anything under an hour she starts right up. I had the fuel lines and bulb changed about 8 months ago. This just started happening the last few trips. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Try pumping the bulb before every start. Seems to be more important during warm weather.

I’ve not had this problem in any weather. Seems like the check valve in the new bulb is leaking back. They’re fairly cheap, I’d replace the bulb.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    Try pumping the bulb before every start. Seems to be more important during warm weather.
    THIS ^^^ is the correct answer. Pump primer bulb firm before EVERY engine start, and yes, it is extremely critical when ambient temps reach or exceed 60 degrees F.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    New primer bulb installed. I can prime the bulb before starting and it will still take 2-3 try’s to start. It sounds like it’s fuel starved. On the 3rd try it sounds normal and starts right up .

6. Member
    Does the bulb get totally hard that you can't squeeze it in anymore?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Does the bulb get totally hard that you can't squeeze it in anymore?
    Yes.

8. Member
    Do you hear the fuel pumps running when the problem occurs?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Do you hear the fuel pumps running when the problem occurs?
    yes I can hear it prime up for 2-3 seconds with the first click of the key.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It is probably not a case of it lacking for fuel, then. Best way to KNOW is to get it on a set of Glycerin-Dampened Gauges to check the Air and Fuel Pressures properly.

If your starting attempts are resulting in a lot of cranking with what seems like an "I think I can, I think I can faster, Nope, didn't work" sound, CHECK THE LOWER TEETH ON THE FLYWHEEL FOR RUST OR LOOSE/RUSTY PAINT.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    It is probably not a case of it lacking for fuel, then. Best way to KNOW is to get it on a set of Glycerin-Dampened Gauges to check the Air and Fuel Pressures properly.

If your starting attempts are resulting in a lot of cranking with what seems like an "I think I can, I think I can faster, Nope, didn't work" sound, CHECK THE LOWER TEETH ON THE FLYWHEEL FOR RUST OR LOOSE/RUSTY PAINT.
    It will start with only a few cylinders hitting then die. 2nd time for a few more seconds and die. Third crank purrs like a kitten

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have the pressures checked (of course, an eyeball inspection of those lower teeth is simple for you to do yourself).

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Have the pressures checked (of course, an eyeball inspection of those lower teeth is simple for you to do yourself).
    Thanks. I’ll go take a look