This I have not thought about...deer scents and CWD...

Interesting article...

Deer Hunters being cautioned about the use of deer urine lures

https://www.klfy.com/news/local/deer...res/1344184952

Shared from my Google feed
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

2. Joe4d
    been illegal in VA for 3 years,,,

3. Member
    Yeah, a lot of states have outlawed the use of natural deer urine.

Illegal here in Arkansas as of last year.

Hell it'll be against the rules here in Bama before long with the deer that tested positive for CWD in Mississippi last year... Tennessee too I'm sure..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

6. Joe4d
    and yet places allow piles of corn to bunch deer up,, probably way worse than a little bottle of scent

7. Member
    The big problem is if the urine is laced with CWD and you pour it onto the ground it will contaminate it for years. If you are feeding corn but there are no deer in the area with CWD it's not going to affect anything. Granted if you are feeding corn and you have deer with CWD they can or could pass it through contacting the same grasses and stuff with their noses as they feed. It's just some wicked stuff, like a super bug. Pretty scary really.

8. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I've often thought about that. I've pretty much quit using it anyway about all I use is interdigital gland occasionally on my boots.

9. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Hell it'll be against the rules here in Bama before long with the deer that tested positive for CWD in Mississippi last year... Tennessee too I'm sure..
    MDWF&P has collected 1,800 samples since 1 October of last year... So far, so good.

Here's the August update...

https://vimeo.com/281870629
    Who controls John Gill?

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    CWD is a scare tactic. Its natures way.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    CWD is a scare tactic. Its natures way.
    Probably a lot of truth to that. I can't speak for everywhere, but here in LA there are a lot of guys who want good bucks but don't believe in shooting does. And one thing I've noticed since they started leasing land here is, when you don't shoot enough does you don't see many bucks and a lot of guys think there are no deer when that happens and certainly won't shoot a doe then. But I believe it is because the bucks don't have to get out and hunt a doe up because there are so many of them. At any rate, I think a lot of the land around here is at carrying capacity.

12. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I respectfully disagree. I use to think that until we acquired an awesome 1000 acre lease few years back.
    It had been trophy managed for years by a single man and his family only. It was loaded with does and bucks. We opted to go light on the does, have no impact on the woods and no gas engines on the property during the season. I have never seen as many bucks on a property in my life. Also I've never seen a rut like we have there. We work hard on food plots and supplemental feeding etc..to try and give the deer no reason to leave the property. If you have a low doe to buck ratio the bucks will leave and you will be trying to figure out the reason for no rut action. We do however let the women and children shoot them and the men try to shoot the management does. And if someone has a bad year or passes on bucks and needs one for freezer at end of the year nobody complains.

Prior to this lease I hunted 1000 acre lease for 3 years where they wanted all does killed. The president had the belief of you cut down on the does the bucks would have to move around more to find them. Well he was right come rut nobody seen deer. I think of the three years there was 1 small 120" 8 pointer killed. It was loaded with big bucks early bow season. One guy lived there during the season. It was by far the worst rut I've ever seen!

Wise words "carrying capacity"

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Have been hunting a long time and have seen sickly deer my entire life. Have had farms where blue tongue and CWD infected the heard and the following years just kept getting better. There is not 1 case of any person being effected. I agree in that the over harvest of does is a BAD thing we are seeing it in VA now, everyone complaining unless you have big property and manage it yourself. Its about deer eradication in efforts to limit accidents... NOT management. I here and experience the same story all over from KS, MI, PA, WVA, MD, VA and GA. Hunters have been complaining about it for years. But back to the CWD thing, As stated IMO is not true and I believe some hot shot bio scientist finds a sick deer with CWD and the world will end if its not eradicated... BS its a natural cycle some people feel they can manage. Some of the deer farms with CWD have some very health deer! VA is ruining the deer hunting with all the CWD and Kill Does idea!

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool38 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I use to think that until we acquired an awesome 1000 acre lease few years back.
    It had been trophy managed for years by a single man and his family only. It was loaded with does and bucks. We opted to go light on the does, have no impact on the woods and no gas engines on the property during the season. I have never seen as many bucks on a property in my life. Also I've never seen a rut like we have there. We work hard on food plots and supplemental feeding etc..to try and give the deer no reason to leave the property. If you have a low doe to buck ratio the bucks will leave and you will be trying to figure out the reason for no rut action. We do however let the women and children shoot them and the men try to shoot the management does. And if someone has a bad year or passes on bucks and needs one for freezer at end of the year nobody complains.

Prior to this lease I hunted 1000 acre lease for 3 years where they wanted all does killed. The president had the belief of you cut down on the does the bucks would have to move around more to find them. Well he was right come rut nobody seen deer. I think of the three years there was 1 small 120" 8 pointer killed. It was loaded with big bucks early bow season. One guy lived there during the season. It was by far the worst rut I've ever seen!

Wise words "carrying capacity"
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri