Back to Shell Knob on 8-2-18

Met Gary at his house at 4am on Thursday 8/2. I already had my stuff loaded in the Charger so it just took him a minute to throw his stuff in. Made it to the Big Bay launch ramp at 5:45. Air temp was about 60*, water was 82.3*. I didn't think to bring a sweatshirt so it was a brisk ride to the first couple of spots. There was a nice breeze blowing but we could still see the pods of bait fish being eaten by decent sized bass so Gary started with a mid sized Whopper Plopper and I threw a clear spook. Schoolers are fun to catch but it can be pretty frustrating at times when you can see them tearing up jack just past your longest cast. Anyway, we chased 'em for a while and had a ball. Some were dinks but there were a few nice ones mixed in to. I took a couple of pictures of some of the better ones. While the shadows were long they bit pretty good but it got pretty tough when the sun got up bright and hot. We hit several of our hot weather spots and picked up a few every where we went. We caught 'em on a spook, a whopper plopper early but then went to a 10 1/2" ol' Monster worm, a drop shot, a spoon and a couple different crank baits when it got bright and hot. The fish were everywhere. The graphs were lit up all day. We found huge schools of fish running anywhere from 25 to 35 feet deep. I could not get them to hit my little drop shot worm so I dropped a spoon down to them and caught a handfull of whites. The best bite on the blacks was on the drop shot. Anytime we saw timber or brush from 15 to 25' deep if there was just a few fish on it we could usually get bit on the little drop shot worm. Most were just short of keeper size but they were still fun to catch. I am anxious to go again so I can try some different drop shot baits. I hope ya'll are getting to go some too.

Last edited by luvdmymerc; 08-03-2018 at 11:08 PM.

I don’t think you got to far from the ramp.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Saves gas and still got fish.......

Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

5. Member
    Great pics Appreciate the info. I'll be comin down for a week when it cools off abit, usually to Campbell Point.

That would be awesome. Come on down......

7. Member
    Great report as usual