Help with Texas Registration

Posted this on the Skeeter Board but maybe this board is better:

Hi everyone, I’m new to the board and have very limited knowledge regarding everything bass fishing. I have placed a deposit on a new to me 2012 Skeeter FX 21 (yes I know diving right in). I live in Conroe, TX but my job takes me to Maine for 5 months of the year. The Skeeter I’m purchasing is from a private owner in New Hampshire (bought it from this site).

The question is regarding registering the boat in Texas...I think I have the following info correct:

1. I have to register the vessel, engine, and trailer separtedly (vessel & engine w/TPWF; trailer w/tax accessor office).

2. I printed off forms for all three and since NH is a registration only state I need the NH registrations from the owner signed and a value assigned to each. Also need to take a picture of the identification numbers of each and include them with the new application. These forms can be used as the bill of sale?

3. The seller typed up a bill of sale and would like to use it instead of the above forms...if I go this route does each (vessel, motor, and trailer) need it’s own individual bill of sale or can they all be on one. Also does each, or one, need to be notarized?

I only have 20 days to get this right before I start incurring fees which makes it difficult being out of state and all. I would prefer to use the forms as the bill of sale but if the owner insists I will do which ever.

Just need some experienced advise and when I get back to Conroe in October wouldn’t mine going out with some of you to teach me a few things.

Thank You in Advance!

2. Member
    I cant remember for sure but start by checking on the tpwd website because I think last time I bought used, I had to go down to their nearest office and register the boat and motor seperately, but the trailer was at the local county tax office and I didnt nee d seperate bills of sale. at least I think thats how I remember it

3. Member
    Thanks RTex!

I bought my rig out of state and was able to use one bill of sale for the whole rig. You just list the price for the boat/motor and a separate price for the trailer. I was able to register just with the bill or sale since the state I bought it from did not require registration. They will take any form of bill of sale. I'd send him TPWD forms to sign and still use the forms he sends so you are both covered. That's how I did my last rig.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    I just purchased a motor from AZ, so i have kinda been through this as well. You can put all items on one bill of sale and a pic of each serial number will suffice for TPWD. You dont even have to fill out the tpwd forms, or at least not at the office i go to. I just give them the information and sign their required form and they enter the rest. RTex is correct though, vessel and motor go to TPWD, trailer goes to local tax office!

6. Banned
    You HAVE to have a title for the boat and motor, if he doesn’t have the original title DO NOT BUY the boat. Texas is very tough on what they require, where many states only require a bill of sale, that doesn’t fly here and you will never get it registered here without the original/current titles.

7. Member
    I would call TPWD and get the scoop straight from them. If you are going to use a local office, might be worth talking to them in person if that’s an option. Get the person’s name too. Be prepared, because you will have to pay sales tax on the boat and motor. You might get lucky on the trailer.

8. Member
    Thanks guys! I did talk to a representative from both the TPWD and tax accessors office and they both confirmed that NH is not a title state so I can use the “original” registration to get it registered in TX. Good advice from everyone here and thanks!

9. Member
    Just one other thing. You MAY have to have the trailer weighed, without the boat, before they will register it. I had to do that when I bought a trailer in TN. They have neither title nor registration on small trailers in TN.

I put the boat in the water at a marina on Conroe, drive to the big truck stop on 45, weighed it...and went back to get my boat. As ir was, the weighing station gave me a certificate showing the trailer too light to weigh on their scales. That sufficed for Texas.

Also, small boat trailers in TX get Registered, not titled, normally.

10. Member
    Copy that richg99...thanks for the info!

11. Member
    Update...how ridiculous is the state of Texas!!! Rich I do have to get my trailer weighed without the boat. How silly is this? There is no inspection under 7600 lbs and the title from NH has GVW as 4650 lbs. checking w/dmv I asked how does this even make sense the answer is “we are Texas,” “we are bigger than the rest.” My answer you are an idiot! Also, asked if a pic of the vin # will suffice, how come a pic of the plate on the trailer of weight would not...dead silence on other end. Can’t fight the state will be dropping boat and going to Pilot.

12. Member
    Yes, and what you find is that each County seems to have their own way of interpreting the rules.

I had hoped that I could register my trailer in Conroe (Montgomery County) since the offices were convenient and not very crowded. I was informed that, since I live in Harris County, I had to go stand in line for an hour there to do the registration.

Welcome to ANY Bureaucracy...in any State. It is NOT ONLY TEXAS. I've had experiences in Illinois; Wisconsin and Tennessee, in addition to Texas.

I bought a boat two years ago in Tennessee, it’s where I am from, and had it registered in College Station at the TPWD, I did not want to deal with anything in Harris County. I did not have to have the trailer weighed(Montgomery County). Everything went very smooth and I followed the instructions on the TPWD website. Biggest thing they wanted was the registration card which had expired in Tennessee but it didn’t matter. I had a bill of sale with everything separated as far as price.

Do you have anything for the trailer? Even if Tennessee doesn’t title them most trailers have a certificate of origin, I believe that’s what it is called. I did have the paperwork for my trailer though, maybe the reason I didn’t have to weigh it. Weighing it was never mentioned.

I went back and read you have the title. I’d go to another office I think, try Magnolia. If I recall correctly my trailer was originally titled in Arkansas, owner I bought from in Tennessee had the title or whatever it was. I had no issues with the trailer at all. I’ve bought at least 8 trailers from 8 feet to 45 feet in the last 7-8 years and never had to have one weighed.
    Last edited by C130; 08-11-2018 at 06:05 PM.