Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fishing in the rain

I like to get out and fun fish to try new lures, areas, presentations, etc.. This is in a sense my proving grounds time and I do learn a lot each time.

When it rains, I do not go out fun fishing. So when I am out in a tournament and it is raining, I get discombobulated. My plan goes down the tube as well as my two backup plans. I have never had consistent success when it rains.

Thinking out loud, I would think the rain would force them deeper to get away from all of the noisy rain drops hitting the surface sending their lateral line into a state of confusion. Then I think that they would go to the nastiest grass possible, the most dense vegetation to help them feel safe. Then there are times I catch or see people catch them in shallows.

How have you guys been able to find success when you are out in a tournament and it starts raining?

2. Member
    No, I hate to fish in the #$* rain.

I think you're giving the rain too much credit. If you've ever been in a pool underwater when it's raining, you'll notice it's really not all that loud.

I find them shallow a lot more often when it's raining, sometimes what you'd think is impossibly shallow. My working theory has been that the rain washes potential food into the water that they sit and wait for. Could be oxygen as well. If you can find current running in, especially on a lake or something that doesn't often get a lot of current, check that out as well. A recent tourney I found some water running in the morning after heavy rain the night before. Caught my limit in about 10 minutes from that...the water running in had apparently attracted the crawfish or washed them into the lake and the bass were hot on their heels. I know it was crawfish as they were all puking them up when I was landing them, and there was a pile in my livewell. That's not common on this particular lake.

Mud lines that can show up due to dirty water running into clearer water or vice versa are always good to check as well.

You can usually get by with power fishing a lot more when it's raining as well. Aside from my boat getting wet, I absolutely love fishing in the rain. Techniques I don't get to use all that often, and no pleasure boaters driving you nuts!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    Few years ago my buddy and I were in a tournament on a lake with very clear water, hot humid day and a front rolled in. There wasn't much wind but a steady rain began to fall. My partner started throwing a buzz bait and began to catch fish, it seemed like every other strike was short so I followed up behind his misses with a bright colored trick worm and caught the missed fish...............turned out to be a pretty good day!
    Last edited by Thermodude; 08-03-2018 at 11:38 AM.

5. huskyjerk
    All I know is as soon as I put on my rain gear it stops raining. When I take it off then it starts raining again.

6. Member
    I love fishing in the rain when it’s just a shower. If I see lightning and hear thunder I’m gone. Always, always catch more fish when it’s raining.

I have had some of my best days of fishing in the rain. I'm not talking about a gully washer.. just steady rain with no lightning. Hard to beat that top water bite in the rain.

DrewFlu33 pretty much covered it. Love fishing in the rain in warmer months. I throw a buzzbait a lot on the rain and it gets crushed!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ891 View Post
    I have had some of my best days of fishing in the rain. I'm not talking about a gully washer.. just steady rain with no lightning. Hard to beat that top water bite in the rain.
    Same here! All seasons, light steady rain is a good time.

Fishing yes, dancing not so much

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huskyjerk View Post
    All I know is as soon as I put on my rain gear it stops raining. When I take it off then it starts raining again.
    Ain’t that the truth!!!!!

12. Member

Isn't that the truth!! Although a bud of mine prefers it tenfold. When there's a good heavy downpour, a half vacation day is in order for him. I once stopped at a gas station in early October. It had just gotten dark raining to beat the band, and he was filling up the boat. I said wow you don't even look wet. He said of course not, I'm just headed out. Some people are just wired differently I suppose.

13. Member
    Rain--what is that?

Come to South Texas right now and don't bother to bring a rain suit.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    Thinking out loud, I would think the rain would force them deeper to get away from all of the noisy rain drops hitting the surface sending their lateral line into a state of confusion. Then I think that they would go to the nastiest grass possible, the most dense vegetation to help them feel safe. Then there are times I catch or see people catch them in shallows.
    You're looking at it the wrong way.

The fish will actually go shallower and don't hold as tight to cover, the need to hide in the shadows to ambush prey isn't nearly as critical because with the rain, cloud cover, etc. it messes with the baitfish's senses and makes them more vulnerable....the bass capitalize on this!

A lot of people always say the fishing is tough immediately AFTER a rain due to the barometric pressure change and such, but I think it's because the fish fed so heavily DURING the rain that they can stand to lay back and be lazy for a few days.

Interesting thought on after the rain. Next time it rains, I am going to head out and beat up the shallow water with buzz baits and what not, see how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    You're looking at it the wrong way.

The fish will actually go shallower and don't hold as tight to cover, the need to hide in the shadows to ambush prey isn't nearly as critical because with the rain, cloud cover, etc. it messes with the baitfish's senses and makes them more vulnerable....the bass capitalize on this!

A lot of people always say the fishing is tough immediately AFTER a rain due to the barometric pressure change and such, but I think it's because the fish fed so heavily DURING the rain that they can stand to lay back and be lazy for a few days.

16. Member

I'm glad I am not the only one
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

17. Member
    I have also had some of my best fishing during a rainstorm. With good rain gear, it really isn't a big deal unless it is hot out. I will say the worst part is 70 MPH getting hit in the face by raindrops.

18. Member
    Fish BITE in the rain.

19. Member
    In my experience when it is raining throw moving baits shallow and cover ground. Fish move up and scatter!

20. Member
    I enjoy the rain, especially in the summer months. As long as there is no lightning associated with it. If there is lightning, i have headed to the car!

I keep both summer weight and winter weight rain gear as you need both in my opinion. I also keep extra dry socks and shorts/shirts in the boat or truck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast