Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

FRUSTRADED TRITON OWNER! Only Getting 60mph top speed.

I have an 05 TR-21x with an Opti 225 and are only seeing 59-60 mph this year. Filters, plugs, fuel line, primer ball are all new. It's currently at a Mercury dealer and they are saying they don't see anything wrong with it! This boat should be doing 70+ mph. Prop is a Tempest+ 25p. Any ideas?

2. Member
    What’s your Prop to pad height? What RPMs are you turning at WOT.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

3. Member
    how old is the prop? If its been re-worked half a dozen times that will seriously decrease your top end.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqpitboss View Post
    What’s your Prop to pad height? What RPMs are you turning at WOT.
    I would have to measure...what is the best way to measure that? I'm turning between 5450-5500 on Smart Craft

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duracraftman View Post
    how old is the prop? If its been re-worked half a dozen times that will seriously decrease your top end.
    Prop has not been re-worked and is in perfect condition.

6. Member
    Your WOT rpms are a little low but not bad.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

7. Joe4d
    60's a bit slow,, but if you dig through that pinned speed post above, Guys arnt hitting 70 with 20 foot plus boats till they go up to 250 hp,,, Did your boat used to run 70 plus ?

8. Member
    It did used to run around 70. There are tons of posts with guys that have the same boat/motor and are getting 70+ as well...

9. Member
    When was the last time it ran 70 +? Did the boat sit for awhile unused? What rpms do you turn at WOT? Have you checked to make sure you are getting full throttle?
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

Do you have Talons/Poles? My 04 tops out at 65. I'm done messing with it. I do think my Talons drag a bit but I can't get them any higher. I can hear water hitting them and WOT.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_4_Five View Post
    Do you have Talons/Poles? My 04 tops out at 65. I'm done messing with it. I do think my Talons drag a bit but I can't get them any higher. I can hear water hitting them and WOT.
    No poles...unfortunately LOL

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqpitboss View Post
    When was the last time it ran 70 +? Did the boat sit for awhile unused? What rpms do you turn at WOT? Have you checked to make sure you are getting full throttle?
    The boat has sat for a while before used this year....looks like it's getting full throttle by looking at the butterfly but i asked the shop to confirm that the TPS is reading WOT with hot foot all the way down

13. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    This is what I’m Boat currently looks like....looks way High to me.

15. Member
    If it was running 70mph when you put it away and now it's not it's not going to be a set-up issue. Although, judging by the jackplate and bolt holes it does look a little high. However, if your RPMs were high and speed low it might be that but since the RPMs actually seem a little lowish it's not indicating a prop slip issue. Has the boat been stored inside a building when not in use, in the water, one a lift, or in the yard with or without a good cover?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    If it was running 70mph when you put it away and now it's not it's not going to be a set-up issue. Although, judging by the jackplate and bolt holes it does look a little high. However, if your RPMs were high and speed low it might be that but since the RPMs actually seem a little lowish it's not indicating a prop slip issue. Has the boat been stored inside a building when not in use, in the water, one a lift, or in the yard with or without a good cover?
    Stored in a yard with a not so good cover

17. Member
    Any chance the hull has absorbed water?

18. Member
    I honestly don’t know...if it did, would it dry out?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    60's a bit slow,, but if you dig through that pinned speed post above, Guys arnt hitting 70 with 20 foot plus boats till they go up to 250 hp,,, Did your boat used to run 70 plus ?
    I have a 2005 Tr21X-21x with a 225 Optimax. It will run 72 with just me in it and a half tank of fuel. Running a 25 pitch fury.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    I have a 2005 Tr21X-21x with a 225 Optimax. It will run 72 with just me in it and a half tank of fuel. Running a 25 pitch fury.
    Where is your motor set at and what RPM are you getting? Would you happen to have a pic of your setup to compare to mine?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast