Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Any chance the hull has absorbed water?
    No, I don't think it would. I've never had to deal with that issue but you can do some searching on here and find some threads on it I think. You could also weigh the boat, motor, and trailer on some big truck scales and see if you are heavier than you should be. That would give you an idea. If the motor is running right, and the prop is not damaged or has the cup washed out it then there has to be an explanation. Adding a bunch of weight in the way of water would be a possibility. I'm not saying that is for sure your culprit but it's worth keeping in your mind.

2. Member
    Tritons are made of all composite and don't absorb water like wood hulls do. Prop to pad should be 2 1/2" to 3" under pad. Did you dump all the old gas out of the boat tank and check the pulse fuel pump for holes and the VST for little pieces of old hose debris. Sounds like you not getting enough fuel and that old hose will cause it. That boat should run 70-72 easy.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 08-05-2018 at 12:15 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Tritons are made of all composite and don't absorb water like wood hulls do. Prop to pad should be 2 1/2" to 3" under pad. Did you dump all the old gas out of the boat tank and check the pulse fuel pump for holes and the VST for little pieces of old hose debris. Sounds like you not getting enough fuel and that old hose will cause it. That boat should run 70-72 easy.
    I did empty the tank and rebuilt the pulse pump (everything was in perfect condition when I opened it up). Only thing I didn’t do was open the VST.

4. Member
    Check all your spark plug wires, after a period of time they wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    60's a bit slow,, but if you dig through that pinned speed post above, Guys arnt hitting 70 with 20 foot plus boats till they go up to 250 hp,,, Did your boat used to run 70 plus ?
    My 21x would run 71/72 with a 225 Pro XS. It had a 6300 Rev limit & a worked 23 Tempest. I'd also check your hot foot & make sure you're getting WOT

Check for hull blisters. If the boat has blisters under the bunks it will slow it down because the gel coat is no longer smooth. I had them on mine and they are a pain. Mine is an 03 TR-21.

7. Member
    Well I water tested it last night after dropping motor 2” on the jack plate putting me at 2.5” below pad and NOTHING! Still only 60 mph at about 5450 rpms. Guess I’m opening the VST tonight! The only thing the shop did say when it was there was that the fuel pressure was fluctuating about 10 psi but there was no fuel in the air side. Would a fuel pressure regulator be causing this? Would I be losing mph and rpm from it?

8. Member
    You need to post over in motors and maybe Don can give you an idea. Be sure and post with your engine serial number
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

9. Member
    Did you steal my boat !! i have the Exact boat same year, same motor, same prop and mine sat for a year, AND I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS AND GETTING THE SAME SPEEDS.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pureoil313 View Post
    Did you steal my boat !! i have the Exact boat same year, same motor, same prop and mine sat for a year, AND I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS AND GETTING THE SAME SPEEDS.
    LOL...maybe we can help each other!

11. Member
    Yesterday I took off my 25P Tempest Plus and put on my 25P Trophy 4 blade and my MPH increased from 60-61 mph to 68 mph today! I should be getting more speed out of my 3 blade Tempest Plus correct? I am getting 5400 RPMs at WOT with BOTH props. Is there something wrong with my Tempest?

12. Member
    I have an 05 TR-21X with a standard 225 on it running a 26 tempest +and with 2 in the boat I hit 70 pretty easily. I'm at 21/2" below the pad and have a hydraulic JP and tried to adjust it for better performance but 21/2" is the sweet spot on this boat. It usually tops out around 71.9 or very close to 72. One thing nobody has mentioned, is the boat getting up on the pad? Have you checked to see that the motor is trimming all the way up and the boat is lifting out of the water like it should? You might not be getting the boat out of the water high enough to reduce the drag. This could be caused by the lack of cup in the prop. I also have a 27 tempest that is straight from the factory (never been worked) and I can get a MPH or two more out of it but the hole shot is not as good as it is with the 26.

13. Member
    My 25 Tempest + that I have been struggling with has barely any cup to it...not sure if anyone has done anything to it. With my 25 Trophy on it yesterday, I went 7 MPH faster at the same RPM and more of the pad was out of the water...just about all of it except the rear corners

14. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    There has to be something wrong with the Tempest. That should get you to 70 or just a bit over with your set up. And 68 with a 4 blade sounds pretty good. You didn’t mention how your hole shot is with both props.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 05TRITON View Post
    My 25 Tempest + that I have been struggling with has barely any cup to it...not sure if anyone has done anything to it. With my 25 Trophy on it yesterday, I went 7 MPH faster at the same RPM and more of the pad was out of the water...just about all of it except the rear corners
    You may want to consider having Mark work your 25 Tempest. It is well worth the investment, IMO. Tell him you need more lift and he will configure the prop accordingly. I expect you'd see a significant difference.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    You may want to consider having Mark work your 25 Tempest. It is well worth the investment, IMO. Tell him you need more lift and he will configure the prop accordingly. I expect you'd see a significant difference.
    Is Mark on this forum?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I have an 05 TR-21X with a standard 225 on it running a 26 tempest +and with 2 in the boat I hit 70 pretty easily. I'm at 21/2" below the pad and have a hydraulic JP and tried to adjust it for better performance but 21/2" is the sweet spot on this boat. It usually tops out around 71.9 or very close to 72. One thing nobody has mentioned, is the boat getting up on the pad? Have you checked to see that the motor is trimming all the way up and the boat is lifting out of the water like it should? You might not be getting the boat out of the water high enough to reduce the drag. This could be caused by the lack of cup in the prop. I also have a 27 tempest that is straight from the factory (never been worked) and I can get a MPH or two more out of it but the hole shot is not as good as it is with the 26.
    Chopper - what do you torque your prop nut to? 100 ft lbs?

19. Member
    Torque to 55 ft/lbs
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqpitboss View Post
    Torque to 55 ft/lbs
    That is where I am confused...I thought the Flo-Torq hub with the black delrin sleeve gets torqued to 100 ft lbs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast