Thread: Water in gas

Water in gas

Twice now I have gone to use my 2001 Mercury EFI 200 and I get the alarm and red light that means water is in the gas. We started pumping some into a bottle after fueling to see if it was from the gas station but it comes up clean. My boat spent some time outside while it was at the shop and the gas is now watery. The first bottle we pumped out was almost half water. Could rainwater have found it’s way into the tank somehow? Last time I had water in my gas the boat had spent a little time outside too.

2. Member
    yes it can,i see this quite often, please use v6 section one down with ser number, welcome to BBC
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Check the O-ring gasket around your gas cap .....they can get hard and leak are fall off. Every so offer i ran some 2 stroke oil on minds, with my finger .

4. Member
    A reoccurring problem of contaminated fuel can often be because of water in the onboard oil reservoir. Not sure how it gets there (condensation from the crankcase maybe) but I often find water in the main oil reservoir.

That water DOES NOT pass through the water sep filter, and will not set off any alarms.

5. Member
    and will blow up a mtr quick exactly why I don't like deck fills on oil res.,
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................