SK Squarebill deep 1.5 review

Got my hands on the new Deep SK 1.5 squarebill a few weeks ago. Overall a nice bait

Pros: caught fish!
    Ran 9-10ft down with 12lb flouro
    Casts very, very well
    Nice action, but I'm still on the fence about how it deflects from cover

Cons: stock hooks are junk (triple grips will cure that)
    Inconsistant from bait to bait
    One tiny piece of grass will make it pinwheel

Overall it's a good bait, just needs hooks and no weeds
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Does the front hook come up and hook the bill and line like on the normal 1.5’s? I’m looking for the right hook to replace them with, I would think triple grips would make that issue worse?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Does the front hook come up and hook the bill and line like on the normal 1.5’s? I’m looking for the right hook to replace them with, I would think triple grips would make that issue worse?
    They work fine on the deep version...I had the same problem with the regular 1.5
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

Thanks for the review. I thought this bait looked interesting. Fits the depth range I like to fish certain times of year.
    If you happen to fish any riprap or chunk rock, be interested to hear how it comes over it. Frequency of hangups, etc..

Yep, thanks for the review.

Fished with them a good bit. I've noticed the bait wanting to roll with a faster retrieve or when deflecting off a piece of cover and once it does it just won't recover. Had them for about a month now and it seems to happen consistently from bait to bait.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey1e View Post
    Fished with them a good bit. I've noticed the bait wanting to roll with a faster retrieve or when deflecting off a piece of cover and once it does it just won't recover. Had them for about a month now and it seems to happen consistently from bait to bait.
    I have one that does that...the other 3 three I have havnt don't that to me yet
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’ve had a few of the shallow 1.5s lip break off on me after I hit a dock or something accidentally. I don’t whack my bait at the water to get weeds off...learned that lesson long ago, it surprised me. Once the 1.5s stop tracking they never recover for me.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Man, disappointed to hear that they mess up in vegetation. One of my favorite things about the regular Strike King 1.5 squarebills is how well they come through vegetation. Shame that they didn't retain that feature. Appreciate the review!!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34