Fishability in wind etc...

I had an Express X21 and traded it soon after buying due to trailer build quality (lack thereof), porpoising issues with Talons installed and difficulty with the wind blowing the boat around a lot requiring constant TM use. I would appreciate comments on these issue as related to the 1980 based on personal experience. Thanks.

2. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Someone else other than me should answer this question as i might be perceived as bias .

3. Member
    I've got an Xpress. The wind can is a bugger when trying to hold the boat and fish, as you said, requiring constant TM. The Ultrex has helped a LOT but it is still my main complaint. Interested in hearing responses.

Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    I had an Express X21 and traded it soon after buying due to trailer build quality (lack thereof), porpoising issues with Talons installed and difficulty with the wind blowing the boat around a lot requiring constant TM use. I would appreciate comments on these issue as related to the 1980 based on personal experience. Thanks.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger

4. Member
    I was told its common problem in all aluminum boats. Not sure how Vexus might have minimized it but was curious at to their take on it. Probably not much to be done. However, the size of the X21 and how high the bow sits may have compounded the problem.

5. Banned
    Maybe some of those gps thrusters like they have on oil rigs of course much smaller.

6. Member
    I believe pretty much all the Xpress boas with the hyper lift hull have the high bow and blow around.

Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    I was told its common problem in all aluminum boats. Not sure how Vexus might have minimized it but was curious at to their take on it. Probably not much to be done. However, the size of the X21 and how high the bow sits may have compounded the problem.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger

7. Member
    I think this is just something you will have to deal with in a lighter boat. Not saying some won't blow around more then others, but the lighter it is the easier it will blow in the wind. And the higher it is will affect it too. Just my experience.
    Semper Fi

8. Comanche warrior MassBass320v's Avatar
    How much lighter are they, though? I seem to remember comparing a Ranger RT188 to an equal length fiberglass Ranger, and t he aluminum boat was only a few hundred pounds lighter. Maybe that's enough to make a difference but I would have expected more of a difference
    __________________________________________________ __
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    I think this is just something you will have to deal with in a lighter boat. Not saying some won't blow around more then others, but the lighter it is the easier it will blow in the wind. And the higher it is will affect it too. Just my experience.
    I would think design would make a difference too. I imagine vexus, xpress and tracker hulls of the same weight would get blown around more than Ranger, Triton, Lund, Crestliner hulls. the latter are standard mod V hulls and sit flat in the water, the former sit bow high with less hull in the water, so less water for the hull to grip and more "sail" above the water. All boats are a compromise and this is just one of those things.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    I would think design would make a difference too. I imagine vexus, xpress and tracker hulls of the same weight would get blown around more than Ranger, Triton, Lund, Crestliner hulls. the latter are standard mod V hulls and sit flat in the water, the former sit bow high with less hull in the water, so less water for the hull to grip and more "sail" above the water. All boats are a compromise and this is just one of those things.
    As a former Xpress owner and now a RT , I agree . Although my Xpress was a foot shorter than my RT , it was a booger in the wind . Even somewhat difficult maneuvering around docks when backing up trying to swing the bow around one way or the other was tricky . There was a lot more short reverse then opposite counter in forward to get turned around in tight spaces .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusty Rusty View Post
    As a former Xpress owner and now a RT , I agree . Although my Xpress was a foot shorter than my RT , it was a booger in the wind . Even somewhat difficult maneuvering around docks when backing up trying to swing the bow around one way or the other was tricky . There was a lot more short reverse then opposite counter in forward to get turned around in tight spaces .
    My Triton V176Mag was a hoot around the ramp on a windy day. Quite entertaining unless you were me in the driver's seat. My RT188 is noticeably less impacted by the wind. It will be interesting to see how the Vexus owners rate their boats after they have some seat time.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway