Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has KVD himself mentioned why he does not use the Solix?

Usually companies want the big dogs to use their flagship products. Hard to believe KVD would have any issues learning to operate the Solix. He's obviously very intelligent and would have all the resources available to make the switch. It didn't take long for Mercury to rip that old antiquated Pro XS oil burner off his transom.

2. Banned
    I have both and there are pluses and minuses to both platforms. The imaging is basically the same.

Pro's don't get caught in the details like we do apparently. If you watch enough live on either tour the amount of trolling motor interference would drive us nuts..... lol

3. Member
    I think it’s more about power consumption more than anything else. I know glass boats are huge but there’s only so much room for batteries

4. Member
    Helix / Base format has been a part of his system for years and he is obsessed with being efficient. Zona has expressed similar remarks and specifically mentioned the simple buttons and lack of touch.

I doubt he wants too mess with the formula that works for him. He loves power fishing and probably uses mapping and and his sonar/ imaging to find structure .... He throws his crank baits around the structure to find the active fish and try to fire them up.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I think it’s more about power consumption more than anything else. I know glass boats are huge but there’s only so much room for batteries
    There is plenty of room in those boats for batteries. If they run Lithium on just the electronics all day isn't an issue.

7. Banned
    cause he likes the core series. it's what hes always used. brandon p and g man are a couple who use the solix

https://www.humminbird.com/news/arti...-bass-tech-kvd

Walk us through your boat electronics.

KVD: I have four units on my boat: a HELIX 10 and ONIX 10 at the console and two HELIX 12 CHIRP units on the bow, all networked together, so if I drop a waypoint on a brush top on my console unit I can see it on any of my units. That’s a really great feature. You definitely want to have your bow and console unit(s) networked together.

At the console, I have a HELIX 10 dedicated to mapping, which I run in full-screen LakeMaster map or split screen to view a large area and a very focused-in area. The ONIX 10 is used for Side Imaging, Down Imaging and SONAR.

On the bow, one of my HELIX 12 units is used solely for 360 Imaging when I’m on the trolling motor. The other one typically runs SONAR and my LakeMaster map in split screen.

The ONIX 10 SI and DI units have the absolute finest imaging I’ve ever seen. But I fell in love with HELIX for two primary reasons: the flush, flat screen and the improvement in brightness of the actual screen itself. I’m super impressed. I started using them last fall and have to say that in real-world applications the imaging is pretty darn close to ONIX.

The thing that I’m really proud of is the tremendous value that Humminbird has put into the HELIX Series. It is an incredible, detailed and quality picture at an amazing price. It’s an amazing value across the line! It’s incredible. For the features you get, the quality and size of the screen – and the price – it’s amazing.

The other thing is ease of use. There are a lot of anglers who have experience with an 898, 999 or 1199, and the great thing about the HELIX is the menu system is very similar to what we already know.

And just the improvement in the screen as far as visibility and brightness goes. It’s stunning! What I love about the new HELIX is it has the best screen brightness for any light condition – and a simple operating system with all the features that I need with uncompromised reliability. They’re just bullet-proof.

8. Member
    TroyBoy
    I think thats old data. I thought I saw he runs 4 Helix 12's now, 2 at consol and 2 up front (double stacked). I have no idea why he runs Helix over Solix, I do for cost and I don't need touch. I run two Helix 12's at I guess you call it my concel (tiller boat). 1 for mapping and 1 for imaging. I like it.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

9. Banned
    it is but still applies. he likes the core series. several others run 4 solix units. you'll notice it's the young guys who are much better with electronics than kvd

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    it is but still applies. he likes the core series. several others run 4 solix units. you'll notice it's the young guys who are much better with electronics than kvd
    Perhaps that's because Kevin concentrates on catching fish instead of watching them on tiny screens......
    I'm sure the Helix series provides everything he needs or he wouldn't use it and I'm sure HB compensates him well for using them.
    Personally I like the simplicity of the Helix in real world but the Solix really appeals to my geek side.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Banned
    nah kevin just sucks with electronics lol. hes old school

12. Member
    I thought G Man was sticking with the Solix units but, his new 2019 boat has Helix units on them....

Quote Originally Posted by jjjaymmman View Post
    I thought G Man was sticking with the Solix units but, his new 2019 boat has Helix units on them....
    That's definitely odd.

14. Member
    Doesn’t KVD have his own line of Helix units?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Doesn’t KVD have his own line of Helix units?
    There used to be a KVD bling SI unit in all the Helix series models. Don't see any of those for the G2 and G2N models on the website.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    There used to be a KVD bling SI unit in all the Helix series models. Don't see any of those for the G2 and G2N models on the website.
    Right. A friend of mine had one. Had a KVD label on the front and lots of red buttons and other bling. Cost a few hundred $ extra over similar non KVD models back then.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Right. A friend of mine had one. Had a KVD label on the front and lots of red buttons and other bling. Cost a few hundred $ extra over similar non KVD models back then.
    No, the KVD units were the same MSRP as the "regular" SI units. Just included some lures at one point and a book at another point during their marketing of it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Yep - I have one and I gave the lures away...

Got a great deal on one EOL.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    Yep - I have one and I gave the lures away...

Got a great deal on one EOL.
    i got a 688 DI came with Navionics Card paid msrp for red buttons and Navionics card. Only use for map. No lures

20. Member
    What lures came with the KVD version? Just curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast