Thread: Knot help

Knot help

I have an alx zolo jig rod. 40lb braid tied to about a 3' 16lb flouro leader. I used a blood knot to connect the main line to the leader. Not sure I like the way the knot sounds and feels going through those micro guides. Any advice?

2. Member
    Learn the fg knot. It's a little smaller. I have micro guides, it's all I use. After you cut the tag end, use a little super glue. Good luck

3. Scraps
    That, and maybe it's the same knot, I wanted to try the "RP" knot cuzz it seems like it's a little thinner, and longer and would go through the guides better. Google "royal polaris" or RP or Bent Ehrler RP knot.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    That, and maybe it's the same knot, I wanted to try the "RP" knot cuzz it seems like it's a little thinner, and longer and would go through the guides better. Google "royal polaris" or RP or Bent Ehrler RP knot.
    That's some version of the alberto knot, and it's literally double the size of the FG knot.

Beauty of the FG is the leader is never doubled; it's basically a braid finger trap against a free standing section of leader. The only added bulk on a FG knot's leader diameter is the braid weaved around it.

5. Scraps
    I'll have to check out the FG. I'm still using opposing uni-knots.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    FG russio finish.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

I used to to really like the FG, but I've gone away from it. The main reason is that if not tied properly, it may not be obvious right away. Instead it can let loose after a couple hundred casts. And even when tied correctly, despite being the thinnest line-to-leader knot, it's also the longest that I've seen. The length of the knot hinders going through the guides - not to the degree that a really fat knot will, but it does hinder it.

I've gone to this one across the board at this point. It's been discussed on here a lot lately. Much easier to tie than the Albright/RP or Alberto or FG, thinner than all but the FG, very compact, and very strong.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I have a couple ALX rods and use the uni to uni with no issues.