Question Boat trailer roller question

I have a bunk trailer with just bunks and a bow roller at the winch stand. I have the goal post style load guides on the trailer. When I pull into the trailer it always loads crooked, so I wind up asking someone to help me bounce my boat to center after it is out of the water.

I have decided to add a wider centering roller on the rear cross member of the frame, plus a keel centering roller on the front cross member of the frame. Should the rear one not touch the hull of the boat after it is loaded, and should the boat be touching the front one on the keel once the boat is loaded?

I am thinking that this will center my boat when I pull it up on the trailer? Plus I think that the front one will help with supporting the hull of the boat. It is just a 14 1/2 foot boat.

I have always been told they are just for centering the boat while loading and should not support the boat.
    Reason being it is such a small contact area it can cause damage.. IMO that can be taken with a grain of salt. If it's barley touching and does not get towed a lot of miles I'm sure the damage (if any) would just be cosmetic.

You might be backing the trailer in too far. The bunks should center the boat when you pull up onto them, unless the boat is floating and not touching enough of the bunks.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    You might be backing the trailer in too far. The bunks should center the boat when you pull up onto them, unless the boat is floating and not touching enough of the bunks.
    This exactly. Too deep and you’ll fight it every time. Get it right and it is centered every time.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member

USA

Once you get it right ( just deep enough ) remember how far the fenders are in, or something. So you will start getting it right every time. Years ago I had the same problem as you. Just remember it is a DRIVE ON trailer, let the motor push you up to the roller. Good Luck.

I have 4 bunks. The two shorter ones are 2x6's ( inner ones) and the longer ones are 2x4's ( outer ones). with the tips of the inner ones just barely out of the water, the trailer guides the boat on. Not only that. Boat will stay on the trailer while i pull the trailer out of the water.