1997 Pro Elite fuel gauge off

The fuel doesn’t register until it’s at about half a tank, when it’s filled the gauge reads full. Any thoughts on why from empty to half a tank it shows 0 on the gauge. But still reads full when it’s full? It’s so annoying.

2. Banned
    Maybe the float in the tank is messed up?

3. Member
    Anything I should be looking for in particular? Never took it out.

4. Member
    I have a 96 201xl pro. Is your a dual tank like mine or is that the year they switched to single tank? if the tank is under the seat like mine is the shape of the tank is a real problem for the gauge. L shape. the floats are in the back so it will go to the top of the L. When you run about 5-6 gallons out of a full tank it reads less then half because of the travel of the float. So on my twin 26 gal. tanks i still have 20+ gallons reads really low quick but plenty of fuel left. Mine has been this way since I have owned it '98. If this is a new thing for yours then yes need to check it.

5. Member
    I think he does have the big L shaped single 52 gallon tank. I just put a new sending unit it my 99 201 PE and discovered the odd shaped tank that you speak of. There are 4 different directions the flotat can be positioned. The only one that works is to have it pointed towards the port side. Towards the front of back it will hit a tank wall, and towards the starboard side it could bump into the pick up line. If you decide to dig into it you'll see what I mean.

PS putting in a new sending unit is very simple. Order a 12 inch Moeller unit off of Amazon and go for it. You should have an access port directly behind your middle seat that makes it easy to work on.

6. Member
    It’s a single tank unit. Not sure what the shape is though. I know that the access panel is behind the seats as I re did my seats in the fall and I had to drain the tank.... don’t ask.... damn evinrude.