Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opinions, help, advice (hand holding) on a 2007 206 Champion purchase

Thanks in advance for any advice...BBC is such a great resource! Around the year 2000 I purchased a 1995 186 Champion (150 Mariner EFI) and immediately fell in love with the little beast. It was apparent to me that I would likely never own any brand other than Champion from that point forward. I ran into some legal issues in 2007 and needed quick cash, so I sold my boat for 4500.00. Can you imagine the knots in my stomach?

I decided to look for a new Champion, new to me anyway, a couple of years ago and it was hard to fine anything in the condition I required. I ran across a craigslist ad, by chance really, and this boat looked perfect! The owner had just posted the listing and already had calls. I called the wife to get approval for a possible offer (thank you babe) and made the call. Below are the specs and a picture:

2007 Champion 206 CX (With passenger console, but never installed)
    2007 Yamaha 250 HDPI Vmax (Yamaha T1 25 prop)
    2007 Champion Trailer Tandem Axle
    Minn Kota Ultrex 24V 81 Lb Thrust TM
    2x Lowrance HDS8
    Lowrance HDS12
    Manual Jack Plate

150 Hours on the motor
    C and O Marine checked the Motor for warranty work (1 service for something to do with oil system - was repaired)
    Owner keeps the boat in his garage and babies it
    He has never run gas with ethanol

I get to ride and decided in the morning. I would appreciate any advice or tips you could give on inspecting the boat. Here is what I planned:

1. Meet at the marina and check the hubs on the trailer.
    2. Inspect fiberglass top to bottom
    3. Inspect for transom flex
    4. Check the Decks, Storage, Etc.
    5. Pull cowling and inspect engine
    6. Put boat in the water
    7. Check electronics and gauges
    8. Take it for a spin
    9. Pull the boat and check for leaks.
    10. If everything looks good, off to the mechanic for engine and fiberglass inspection.
    11. Purchase, renegotiate or walk away.

Opinions, help, advice?

Thanks,

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Sorry for delay...for some reason, some new posts by new users must be approved before showing. Hope all is well now....

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    You will know if it has been babied. The mechanic can run a report on compression... Look for stress cracks although not really an issue, look for glass work, make sure all works, ask about batteries plug in charger, check trailer for breaks working,run livewells and pumps, check lights as best you can, seat rot... By your descripting you have found a damn good boat.

Hint -Always look around he house -It all organized and clean ad in good repair usually so is boat!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

4. Member
    I would pull the plugs on the motor. look them over well to see if there are any signs of carbon build up on the pistons or any signs of one running lean. I just bought a champ with an hpdi and it test ran great and only had around 100 original hours. Everything checkout fine but the second trip I blew #2 cylinder. Injector was lean from sitting up too much. Just wanting to give a heads up.

5. Member
    HPDI's have lots going on with the fuel system. Ask him if he ran Yamaha ring free in it. Its a highly recommended product. I will be listing my 2004 206 soon and it will be around the same #. They ride big, have lots of storage, and fish great.

6. Member
    That looks really nice and the right color! Is that the 92" beam or 96" beam?

7. Member
    20ft 8” with a 95” beam
    Last edited by STLBassBuster; 08-01-2018 at 05:59 PM.

8. Banned
    Sharp! Only downfall is the HPDI, been known to be fickle. How much is he asking for this beaut? If you buy it, would you mind posting pic of the seats, I’m interested in the color scheme.

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    ...Only downfall is the HPDI, been known to be fickle...
    Hmmm ... no issues with mine after I pulled the 27" pitch prop off of it the dealer originally set it up with. Running a 25M Yammie prop right now. Have a new Tempest 25 I need to run then send to Steve's for work. Just a note that my 250 HPDI is titled as 07, but was manufactured in 06.

10. Banned
    As noted a few post up, it’s the mystery filters and fuel system that can be the problem. Guys need to keep them maintained.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    Hint -Always look around he house -It all organized and clean ad in good repair usually so is boat!
    Google Earth = Immaculate Yard

Grout-Scout

He is asking 28,900.00. I have conditionally offered 27500.00. That being said, for that price it had better be as good as the pictures represent. I am leaving very little room for any imperfections. I am paying a Yamaha mechanic to really give it the once over, after the test ride.

STLBassBuster

I'll ask him about the fuel additive tonight. Thanks!

CP1.0

I'm paying for a Yamaha mechanic to inspect the engine. I'll make sure he looks at each cylinder.
    Last edited by jaduck; 08-01-2018 at 07:22 PM.

12. Member
    Grout-Scout

He is asking 28,900.00. I have conditionally offered 27500.00. That being said, for that price it had better be as good as the pictures represent. I am leaving very little room for any imperfections. I am paying a Yamaha mechanic to really give it the once over, after the test ride.

Here is a picture of the seats:

STLBassBuster

CP1.0

The mechanic is going to pull the plugs and check for carbon build up. The owner informed me that he had changed the plugs within the last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    Grout-Scout

Here is a picture of the seats:

STLBassBuster

CP1.0

The mechanic is going to pull the plugs and check for carbon build up. The owner informed me that he had changed the plugs within the last year.

14. Banned
    Price is respectable given the upgrades on the boat. Let us know how it goes.

15. Banned
    Look in the bilge/battery area. If it is clean, then it's a winner. People who take care of their boats meticulously clean that area. Those that don't....... don't. I have found this to be a pretty fool proof method of inspecting used boats.

I think if you check into it the one service that C&O did on the oil system was a recall for the oil pump. My '07 HPDI had the same recall done when it was almost new. The reason for the recall (if I remember right, it's been a while) was the pump wold not inject enough oil at mid range throttle so if the engine wasn't run wide open it would be lean on oil at mid range cruise RPMs. My HPDI has been trouble free and still runs fine after all these years.
    John Slaughter
    ......... Bankrupt Boat Trash Since 1977.........

17. Member
    Well Guys, I woke up to this text message:

"Hey Tony I have decided I'm not selling my boat and I apologize I sorry but I can't sell it"

My response:

"Well...&*^ a %^$# Duck"

So flippin' sad...How do I get a Champion? Two years my first offer and this happens? Do I have to get a Basscat?

18. Member
    This one is like my old boat what do ya'll think:

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/b...657349086.html

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jaduck View Post
    Well Guys, I woke up to this text message:

"Hey Tony I have decided I'm not selling my boat and I apologize I sorry but I can't sell it"

My response:

"Well...&*^ a %^$# Duck"

So flippin' sad...How do I get a Champion? Two years my first offer and this happens? Do I have to get a Basscat?

Some come to their senses when they truly realize what they are about to do. My buddy wanted my 198 something awful and I was right at the brink of selling it. Then I started to think.....What could I possibly replace it with? I don’t want to spend $60k on a new one and it’s hard to find clean Champs that aren’t way over priced.

I bet if you can convince him to let you look at it, then you can sweet talk him out of it. He’s already got the thinking of selling, he just needs the push over the hump. Show up with money and that might do it.

20. Member
    Apparently he came to his senses...Life goes on and eventually I'll find a clean Champion fairly close to my home. If you come across anything that is 30,000 or less let me know. Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast