Rebuilt 250 hpdi question

I have an opportunity to purchase a boat with a 2005 250 hpdi that has 40 hours on a rebuild. Rebuild supposedly cost $8000, I need to verify that yet. In my searches concerning the 250 hpdi I seem to see alot of powerhead/cylinder problems with the pre-2008 models. I guess my question is can can the rebuild fix the pre-2008 problems? Or are the pre-2008 250 hpdi motors just something to stay away from?
    I would appreciate input on purchasing a rebuilt 2005 250 hpdi.

Thanks.

2. Member
    I've a 2006 250 but with a new head that has about 80hrs on it. If i recall there was a TSB on the oil pump so you should check you've got the newer version.

VZ250
    60V00, 60V01 or 60V02 gets replaced with a 60V03

Taking precautions like:

- Use Ringfree / Marine Stabil
    - Warm up in gear so all 6 cylinders are engaged (runs on 4 cyl in netural)
    - Ease into full throttle when taking off
    - Let you're engine run for a little when you reach your spot
    - I only use premium now after reading comments here (my local station has no ethanol in it so win-win)
    - Keep on top of fuel filter maintenance
    - I use Penzoil but others still use yamalube
    Current: 2006 ~ 20i ~ 250 HPDI ~ T1-25p
    Previous: 2005 ~ ZX 225 ~ 250 HPDI Phase III - TXP 26p

3. Member
    Its the 3.3L HPDI that has issues no mattwr what yr it is. The motor takes some TLC to keep it from blowing up.

4. Member
    not the best motor ever built and I'm being nice but its your money

5. Member
    If it was a quality rebuild and a reputable mechanic and everything was changed/updated i wouldnt worry. Get a compression check and maybe even follow up with the mechanic that did the work. I bought mine with a 03 250hpdi before i knew any better. It had sat for some time before i bought it. I drained the fuel and put fresh in. 20hours later my #6 went out. Turns out an injector ran lean. So had i sent in the injectors i would've caught it early. Now im on my 2nd season of a full rebuilt power head. All filters, bearings, oil pump update, injectors sent to brucato, and all new aftermarket pistons and pegged rings. And so far with fresh fuel always and no ethanol it, it is running like a top. My local mechanic did the work (30yrs of experience, and certified merc and yam) and parts came from chris carson along with some guidance. I use cabelas semi synthetic oil. The motor runs great. Very fast. Very strong. So if you check the work, and trust the rebuild, and its been maintained since, i wouldnt worry. But in the end its your decision. There are some bad quirks with a lot of motors. Dont let the horror stories scare you. There is still a lot of demand and people running these motors with success. Just make sure you trust the work.

6. Member
    If a hpdi is rebuilt by certified Yamaha dealer is there typically a warranty? Is there an option to buy an extended warranty on the rebuild?

7. Member
    It depends on who did the work. I believe carson and hydrotech both have a yr guarantee. And each mechanic is their own set of circumstances. But the best thing to do before you buy is follow up.