Merc lower unit scoops

Wanting to setup my 03 with a stock lower, anybody have a pair of scoops for a 2.5 they would sell?
    Last edited by hirks; 07-31-2018 at 09:42 PM.

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    you talking about these right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Mar...-/201326855636

I had a set on my 200 when I got my first Allison. They work pretty good. If you can't find a set used from anyone give Don Weed a call and see if he has a decent price on getting you a set. If you are having problems with shipping to Canada let me know I'm coming up in September
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    you talking about these right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Mar...-/201326855636

I had a set on my 200 when I got my first Allison. They work pretty good. If you can't find a set used from anyone give Don Weed a call and see if he has a decent price on getting you a set. If you are having problems with shipping to Canada let me know I'm coming up in September
    Yup thats them, I think they are discontinued, a friend ordered a set from a merc dealer here 6 weeks ago and still not shown up. Was there anything you didnt like about them? Did you have any holes plugged as well or just the plates?

4. Member
    The ones shown in the link allyfishing pasted are the ones for a 3.0L. The ones for a 2.5L are shorter and don’t have the center holes. Which gearcase are you wanting to add the scoops to? Is it a 2.5L torque master from a promax or is it a std 2.5L gearcase? The 2.5L torque master on the promax’s only had 4 water intake holes per side & came from the factory with the shorter scoops. A std 2.5L case has 8 holes per side & the longer scoops should work on that case. If this is the case I have a set of the longer ones you are welcome to.
    Last edited by rocketmanjp; 08-01-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added more info

I need the 8 hole for a fishing 2.5 case rocketmanjp. The ones I need have the hole in the center, the part # he posted matches the one I found for a stock 8 hole lower. That would be great if you could drop them in the mail. I will send you my address and you send me yours so I can mail you something in return
    Last edited by hirks; 08-01-2018 at 09:39 AM.

6. Member
    Replied to PM

7. Member
    My 2.5 liter gearcase was a standard 1.87 and I know it had more than 4 holes per side. My first XR4 lower unit was the small hub 1.72(?) and it had 4 holes on each side.

I had the top 2 holes on each side plugged as well with small allen head set screws.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

My 2.5 liter gearcase was a standard 1.87 and I know it had more than 4 holes per side. My first XR4 lower unit was the small hub 1.72(?) and it had 4 holes on each side.

I had the top 2 holes on each side plugged as well with small allen head set screws.
    Ok thx, the 200 case has 8 holes, I have the top 3 plugged now but want the scoops so I can go up a little more and get higher water pressure. It will suck air now if I trim past neutral much.

9. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    The ones shown in the link allyfishing pasted are the ones for a 3.0L. The ones for a 2.5L are shorter and don’t have the center holes. Which gearcase are you wanting to add the scoops to? Is it a 2.5L torque master from a promax or is it a std 2.5L gearcase? The 2.5L torque master on the promax’s only had 4 water intake holes per side & came from the factory with the shorter scoops. A std 2.5L case has 8 holes per side & the longer scoops should work on that case. If this is the case I have a set of the longer ones you are welcome to.
    The 3.0 and 2.5L std. gear case use the same long scoops. The Torque Master 2.5 uses the short ones. I have a few sets of both in stock.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hirks View Post
    Ok thx, the 200 case has 8 holes, I have the top 3 plugged now but want the scoops so I can go up a little more and get higher water pressure. It will suck air now if I trim past neutral much.

Yup, same here. sucked air til I added the scoops. Then pressure jumped up dramatically. But be carefull because they do clog easy and I had lost one and the alarm went off. shut down and looked and sure enough it was gone.

Get 2 sets from Lee while you are at it. And if you get them installed and you are happy with how they are working and all then do yourself a favor and JB weld them in place.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Yup, same here. sucked air til I added the scoops. Then pressure jumped up dramatically. But be carefull because they do clog easy and I had lost one and the alarm went off. shut down and looked and sure enough it was gone.

Get 2 sets from Lee while you are at it. And if you get them installed and you are happy with how they are working and all then do yourself a favor and JB weld them in place.
    Thx Craig, I went through 2 coned lowers last yr and bought a stock 200 with the intent of coning it but wanted to see if I could get a good setup without coning. So far it runs within 5 mph of when I ran a coned case and handling is very good other then at wot when is ok but requires some driving. Hopefully I can gut up to 1" under pad and come within 2-3mph of my previous topend. Im about 1 3/4" below now, my goal is to run 80 with the stock case. I fish some weed lakes so hopefully thats not to much of an issue?

12. Member
    Well from what I remember reading years ago a stock 200 case with low water pickups and a cone to be run surfaced will not hold together because of the internals. Obviously installing scoops to a stock 200 case will indeed allow it to be run a bit higher than normal but still not a gearcase that is intended to be run that high. I did loose one scoop one day running down the lake with 10 PSI showing on the gauge when I lost one and shut down as soon as the alarm went off but still fried the water impeller.

I hear what you are trying to do but why not buy a sporty or maybe a CLE if you can get your hands on one?

The best I ever got with scoops on my 200 was 2" below pad but then again that was on an Astro 18FDX not an Allison. Big difference!!! haha
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Well from what I remember reading years ago a stock 200 case with low water pickups and a cone to be run surfaced will not hold together because of the internals. Obviously installing scoops to a stock 200 case will indeed allow it to be run a bit higher than normal but still not a gearcase that is intended to be run that high. I did loose one scoop one day running down the lake with 10 PSI showing on the gauge when I lost one and shut down as soon as the alarm went off but still fried the water impeller.

I hear what you are trying to do but why not buy a sporty or maybe a CLE if you can get your hands on one?

The best I ever got with scoops on my 200 was 2" below pad but then again that was on an Astro 18FDX not an Allison. Big difference!!! haha
    My boat only ran 82-83 with a coned lower, my intention was to cone the stock case i just bought but before spending $350 on a cone and $450 on a gieger tech carrier so its lasts I figured if I could get it to run 80 and handle good without coning it I would call it a day. I have a lead on a cle and may go that route.

14. Member
    tell me again what set up you are running?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

tell me again what set up you are running?
    Xb2003 with a 200 merc

16. Member
    Have you ever ran a sporty?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Have you ever ran a sporty?
    Ya I have ran a sporty, coned torquemaster and a coned 200. Sporty's are very pricey used here and too much new

18. Member
    i hear ya.......guess scoops are the best bang for the buck then
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P