Steez A vs Steez SV103 8.1:1 ?

Hi all,

looking to get a new reel for heavy Jigs.

I have narrowed it down to the two.

The Steez SV103 seems to have brass gears vs the duralium of the Steez A. I prefer the spool of the SV for skipping.

What would you choose?

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I don't have a Steez A (I decided to buy two NIB SV103's last week instead) but I do have a Steez SV103 XS. Most of the time it sits on a rod used for jigs or weighted plastics. The Steez SV103 is a good skpping reel as well. I find the SV reels without the t-wing skip better than the ones with the t-wing.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I don't have a Steez A (I decided to buy two NIB SV103's last week instead) but I do have a Steez SV103 XS. Most of the time it sits on a rod used for jigs or weighted plastics. The Steez SV103 is a good skpping reel as well. I find the SV reels without the t-wing skip better than the ones with the t-wing.
    Cool, you seem to have gotten a great price?! (Mind to share where you bought them for what price)?

Planning to use the reel for brakish water as well (Cal Delta), so not sure if the SV103 is the right choice here.

Thoughts?

4. Member
    I have both reels. In my opinion the Steez A wins no contest
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    I have both reels. In my opinion the Steez A wins no contest
    Thanks! That is what I kind of was thinking. Do you run the Steez A with the standard spool?

6. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer27 View Post
    Cool, you seem to have gotten a great price?! (Mind to share where you bought them for what price)?

Planning to use the reel for brakish water as well (Cal Delta), so not sure if the SV103 is the right choice here.

Thoughts?
    It was a local shop that had a few of the old SV103's find their way to the "clearance" table and I bought them all. Where I live it's mostly Shimano country and I know only one or two others around here who want the higher end Daiwa reels.

I don't get anywhere near brackish water so I don't pay attention to what kind of reels work best but I wouldn't be using my Steez or Zillions anywhere near the salt - I'd dig out the old Lexas or PQs and use them instead.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer27 View Post
    Thanks! That is what I kind of was thinking. Do you run the Steez A with the standard spool?
    Yes I run it with the stock spool.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

8. Banned
    You can get a steez sv tws in 8-1 on japanlure, I love them. Much lighter than the A.

The Steez SV103 is a great reel, but I agree with Travel to fish's comment above. I purchased a Steez SV TW 1012SV-XH (8.1:1) about two weeks ago and this reel is head and shoulders above the previous Steez models.

10. Member
    steez A has a larger handle and love the clicking drag feature.I like it better. I have both reels

11. Member
    I have both reels and for the application, I'd go with the Steez A (stock spool)- especially if you're going to fish brackish water.