FT Drum area info

Hey everyone, looks like I may be moving to the area with the Army and would like some general info, places to live, places to avoid, what to expect housing wise, etc. I'm considering purchasing a home instead of renting. I will of course be bringing my boat and looking to get into some smallmouth fishing. I appreciate any insight or advise that y'all can provide. Thanks!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

2. Member
    Same, I'm PCsing to drum from Benning this month and am looking for quality places to store my boat? Also best places to Bass fish and are there any local Bass clubs in the area? Thanks!

3. Member
    Check Watertown for a bass club. Plenty of places within 30 minutes to get on some really good fish. Chaumont Bay, Henderson Harbor, 1000 islands, Oneida. All very productive.

4. Member
    Fort drum area itself is nice, Watertown is a complete dump. Also along with the river and Ontario, you have the whole Adirondack Park (saranac chain specifically) and black lake that you can hit. Butterfield is pretty decent too. If you guys aren’t used to snow best bet is to look farther north for places like Theresa. It’s above the snow belt so they don’t get as much snow as Carthage or Copenhagen.

Upstate Anglers is a pro-am team format that goes all over northern ny and western ny. Salt city bass is one of the best in the state and mostly fishes up near there, Oneida, and the finger lakes.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Thanks for the info. Looking to stay close to Drum, hate a long drive to work so I will just deal with the snow.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman469 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Looking to stay close to Drum, hate a long drive to work so I will just deal with the snow.
    hope your prepared, as that area its a ton.. this ain't NC

7. Member
    1000 Island Bassmasters- https://tibassmasters.wordpress.com/ is who I would look up. I fished an open tourney with them a couple of years ago on Black Lake, and truthfully couldn't have been around a more friendly group of people. Didn't know a single one before that day, and they welcomed my partner and I like like we were two of their own. Another side point, you've never been in cold before. You may think you have, but up by Drum is on a whole other level.

8. Member
    I know it will be cold there. Grew up with cold winters but not a lot of snow and spent 6 years in Germany so I know what to expect. Hoping I'm not too old to acclimate!
    I will check out the 1000 Island Club, appreciate the link.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

9. Joe4d
    fishing is great in the summer...............BOTH DAYS !

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469