Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Where there's a will -- there's a way !!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    Clever engineering there. Did you put any kind of shoulders on the modified locking tabs to keep them from spinning out? The only bad thing I see about the fixes so far is if we continue to fix things ourselves the manufacturer never will!
    The locking tabs are 1/4" 304 stainless steel they don't flex at all. I actually mocked one up with 1/8" stainless steel and it didn't flex main reason is the short length.

I am considering making some wedges from black UMHW to install under the trolling motor like G-Man did in his video. The only thing is if you do the full length of the bottom mounting it gets kinda pricey. When you raise the front of the trolling motor up the back has to go down. So there may be another problem the fix for that is raise the whole thing up enough to clear if it hits. It was easier for me to just make the parts the way I did vs taking the motor off to make the wedge.
    Last edited by awhitetn; 08-03-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    Allen

2011 Ranger Z520
    2020 Mercury 4-Stroke Pro XS 250

Rebel Bass Club

http://rebelbass.webstarts.com/

Gone Fishing

3. Banned
    that's what scap said. a full length wedge would get expensive and something just under the front is going to cause issues

4. Banned
    If you guys who want the wedges fish with a partner for a day instead of alone are you going to remove the wedges since the bow will be lifted by that guy in the rear?

5. Member
    Most of the time when you are vertical fishing both anglers are on the front deck. You can nit pick correcting the shaft angle to death. Things like full live well, half full live well, full fuel tanks, half full fuel tanks, tackle load and don't forget different partner weights. I corrected my issue because I wanted to be able to stand on my front deck drop my bait beside my trolling motor and catch the fish I see on my depth finder beside my trolling motor. Before I would have to stand 2 to 3 feet back on my deck to see my bait when I dropped it.
    Allen

2011 Ranger Z520

Rebel Bass Club

Gone Fishing

6. Member
    Here's my thought... (probably flawed however) I MAY try just shimmying my mega transducer so that when the head of the motor is pointing forward it will be somewhat more level. A lot of the time I am creeping forward watching the screen anyway when drop shotting. Then if I turn the moto right or left and a fish suddenly starts showing up that wasn't there right before that, then odds are that fish is a little more over in the direction I just turned the motor or further under the boat if I turn it facing backwards. It won't make much difference in shallow water, but in deeper water it might. I'm not all that worried about it... I can see my weight and bait when I drop down because I know to drop to the side between me and the motor and not out front or right beside the motor. But this will be an easier job/test than raising the front of the motor mount and possibly causing problems. I'm still under warranty with my Ultrex... I don't want to change anything to void it. Just my thoughts.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

7. Member
    I have been fishing with the kit I installed to correct the shaft angle on my Ultrex for a month now. I can say this was definitely worth the time I have invested. I have not had any issues with any of the components that I fabricated to date. I have had several people ask me to make them a kit for their boat here locally. I may start producing a kit like mine it's fairly east to install. From start to finish I would say roughly around 1/2 hour or less. Before I start producing the kit I will have to machine some fixtures for machining the SS shaft and the angle on the UHMW. If anyone is interested in a kit let me know I will be working on a price.
    Allen

2011 Ranger Z520

Rebel Bass Club

Gone Fishing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12