Thread: Hard steering

Hard steering

Couldn't find much of the way on the subject.
    I have the 2019 z18 and put her in the water for the first time. One of the first things I noticed is the steering on plane ( all thru the rpm range) was overly hard left or right. It's set up with the hydraulic assist. Now I'm pretty stout and it just seems way too stiff. Granted I'm new to the high performance bass boats but if my wife has to drive It's not going to happen and that will take away from her enjoyment ... just sayin

cheers

2. Member
    I have no experience with the new 4 stokes, but with both my 2016 Z18 and my current 2017 Z21, I get increased torque on the steering wheel when the motor is set too high.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

I'm assuming that as the boat is getting up to speed your bumping the trim up ? More trim up the faster you go?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    My z19 does the same stuff thing at certain speeds. Trim down or slow a little and the steering will be easy again. That's what works for me.

5. Member
    Nice smooth plane at all rpm's and still really really hard to turn in either direction. I cannot make hard turns with one hand let alone two hands.

6. Member
    Setting on the trailer does it turn easy?
    Try to trim down in the turns and I mean just tap it down a little at a time while in the turn to see if the steering loosen up.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigman78 View Post
    Setting on the trailer does it turn easy?
    Try to trim down in the turns and I mean just tap it down a little at a time while in the turn to see if the steering loosen up.
    Tried it in the turns and no change
    tried on the trailer and seems normal

8. Member
    There is a reason the motor is torquing so bad. Have you call the dealership yet?

I need two hands on my 20'er, that's why they make hot foots and blinker trims
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigman78 View Post
    There is a reason the motor is torquing so bad. Have you call the dealership yet?

11. Member
    You might have gotten a "Pro" helm. They are harder to turn than the standard hydraulic helm.

Quote Originally Posted by AuMiner200 View Post
    I have the 2019 z18 and put her in the water for the first time. One of the first things I noticed is the steering on plane ( all thru the rpm range) was overly hard left or right. It's set up with the hydraulic assist. Now I'm pretty stout and it just seems way too stiff. Granted I'm new to the high performance bass boats but if my wife has to drive It's not going to happen and that will take away from her enjoyment ... just sayin

cheers
    Really interested in seeing how this develops as I will be placing the order for a 2019 Z18 soon myself.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuMiner200 View Post

cheers
    If you're new to high performance bass boats then you'll just need to get used to this. You've probably never felt this before in other smaller boats. At high speeds it's supposed to feel that way which is probably a good thing. You don't want to jerk the wheel when you're going 65-70. It probably feels harder to turn left than it does to the right. It's just physics.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

14. Member
    I found raising the 175 proxs motor up some helped my steering a lot on my Z7. But I had to put a jack plate on it to be able to lower and raise the motor. Also needed the jack plate for my Talons. It came with the motor bolted onto the transom. Jack plates can solve a lot of problems. Try a 6-8" Slidemaster. Good jack plates and easy to adjust.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

Prolly a sign of a setup issue, Have had this in the past with different props and height. Usually I have been able to resolve it. It will be harder to turn one direction at full speed and trim, but I would not say it is hard.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    Issue resolved. Airlock in line at bleeder