Yamaha mechanic with time to track a possible electrical problem

trying to find a mechanic that has the time and willingness to track down a possible intermittent electrical problem 08 HPDI. At this point i'll bring it anywhere within 2-3 hours from houma area.

Its gonna take time running on the water to see and feel the issue. It does not happen on the hose or on the trailer, no computer codes. I'm having problems getting a mechanic to deal with it and I understand totally from their side. They not making money riding in a customers boat all day. I changed all 10 filters twice, drained the tank, changed the plugs, compression is good, check gas lines for crimps/corrosion/deterioration, rebuilt low pressure fuel pumps, high pressure fuel pumps registered correct pressure, coils check out fine on land, only remaining thing to do is get injectors professionally cleaned which will happen this week hopefully. Been fighting all year. It started as just a slight split second miss while cruising. If you are not driving or paying attention you wouldn't even know. On 2 occasions it became a bad in and out bogging getting on plane. Once on plane it would clear out and would run perfect at WOT. Just recently even after getting on plane it continued with the rpms going up and down and just struggling for 5 min before clearing out and it ran fine after that across the lake.

This is the reason is so hard to diagnose. It doesn't have a pattern that I can make it run bad. There are trips I can make where it runs fine the entire trip.

2. Member
    Take it to Breaux and Daigle in Pierre Part. If something is wrong with it, RP will find it and tell you what it is and fix it.

3. Member
    When I had an intermittent coil problem with a merc i detected which one was giving trouble by shooting each cylinder with a temperature gun after running the engine on the water. The cold cylinder was the culprit.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oiltech09 View Post
    When I had an intermittent coil problem with a merc i detected which one was giving trouble by shooting each cylinder with a temperature gun after running the engine on the water. The cold cylinder was the culprit.
    not a bad idea..