If your on the Fence for a Tin Now is the Time

Spoke to my dealer yesterday and he says 2019 tin boat prices are going up significantly over last year due to aluminum prices.

Something to think about...
    2019 Crestliner PT 20 - Mercury 200 Pro XS 4s - Columbus, OH

2. Member
    It's that time of the year. Seems like every year a thread like this pops up.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

3. Member
    My ranger Rt178 that I purchased this Jan. went up $1000. Glad I bought it when I did.

4. Banned
    If this really is the case, then dealers will probably not reduced leftovers very much at all.

5. Member
    Boat dealers are like sports teams, they all have a playbook to raise prices. I have never been told by a boat dealer to wait until next year, because the prices are going down.

I have yet to see anything become cheaper over the years. That goes for food vehicles tools boats you name it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    I have yet to see anything become cheaper over the years. That goes for food vehicles tools boats you name it.
    I've seen lots of things get cheaper over the years, particularly chemicals and electronics. Have you purchased a TV or computer the past 20 years? But aluminum boats will have to get more expensive when the basic input material increases in price by 15%, no way around it.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    It's that time of the year. Seems like every year a thread like this pops up.
    No, it's not just that time of year, Aluminum and steel prices are way up due to the tariffs.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

9. Member
    Funny how prices go up when aluminum goes up but the prices NEVER go down when aluminum goes down.....

10. Member
    It's the tariffs, Raw materials which we import mostly will essentially be taxed more, that tax is passed on to us in things we buy, cars, boats, campers, etc.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    It's the tariffs, Raw materials which we import mostly will essentially be taxed more, that tax is passed on to us in things we buy, cars, boats, campers, etc.
    There was a good interview Thursday on NPR's Marketplace with the congressional representative from northern Indiana and the possible effect of tariffs on the RV and boat industry. Northern Indiana is packed with RV, boat and pontoon manufacturers so it's a huge issue, right now business is very strong but there is concern about what will happen when the price increases reach the consumer.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    There was a good interview Thursday on NPR's Marketplace with the congressional representative from northern Indiana and the possible effect of tariffs on the RV and boat industry. Northern Indiana is packed with RV, boat and pontoon manufacturers so it's a huge issue, right now business is very strong but there is concern about what will happen when the price increases reach the consumer.
    Yep, all eye are on this issue around here.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

13. U.S. Navy, Retired
    Got a quote that is very simillar to one I got this time last year. Although the quote is only good thru the end of September. I don't believe I will wait another year to pick up a new tin. Time to pull the trigger.

14. Member
    All business costs are passed along to the consumer up to what the market will bear. When people stop paying the price the market will correct one way or another. Normally that means your job will be outsourced. If you work for .gov they will simply print more money. Sadly we have become a nation of finger pointers instead of a nation of communities taking care of one another. About the only time I really see communities taking care of one another en mass is in a tragedy.

Maybe, as a nation Americans should have been hollering about these trade deals BEFORE they were signed OR we should try and shop local more? The fact Bezo's is now the wealthiest dude in America says something about how we purchase goods and services.

15. Member
    But its TARIFFS!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

16. Member
    if aluminum is 1.00 and increases 25% that would be .25 per lb average boat 1200 lbs at .25 = 300.00 the major manuf purchase there aliminum on the futures market most of them, all ready have there orders purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I've seen lots of things get cheaper over the years, particularly chemicals and electronics. Have you purchased a TV or computer the past 20 years? But aluminum boats will have to get more expensive when the basic input material increases in price by 15%, no way around it.
    Thats a good point didnt think of that. Unless you have to have the latest and greatest tech when it comes out then you pay a premium but youre right over time the decrease in most cases. In situations like this where there are a wide array of consumables that go up the manufacturers arent going to eat it they cant. People will either pay it or not. If they really want it theyll pay.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    No, it's not just that time of year, Aluminum and steel prices are way up due to the tariffs.
    Odd that we heard last year and the year before that "You'd better buy now because aluminum prices are going up!" Where were the tariffs then?
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

19. Member
    Don't think it will hurt much. The prices of trucks have been way overinflated for what, 15 years? It doesn't look like it will slow down anytime soon either.